Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot starts immunization/update automatically

Default Spybot starts immunization/update automatically

Like the title says, my Spybot will occasionally start automatically and either update or immunize, but in either case, minimize a fullscreen game I may be running at the time. I've looked through the settings and can't find a way to stop this behaviour (although admittedly I am having a bit of a confusing time adjusting to this new Spybot). It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't minimize my fullscreen games which then can't be recovered and have to be Task Manager-terminated even if they are not unresponsive.

Any help appreciated,
    thanks

Are you using a Home or above edition?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/private/
    In those,updates and immunization are scheduled,but they should be configured to be silent by default.

Hi! Thanks for responding!

I'm using the free edition. I've looked at scheduling but as it's a free edition, I can't change anything. It's more than a little frustrating. I'm also unsure as to whether the updates are current or not, it's been telling me that 83...or something... files have been up to date for weeks now, as well as telling me it's been over 8 days since the last check even when I may have checked only yesterday. So basically, I have two things worrying me - Spybot crashing my fullscreen programs with automatic immuni-updating and the possibility of it not having been up-to-date for who knows how long.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately,I'm not sure why your Spybot is auto updating and immunizing.Your version shouldn't be.
    The immunizing logfile doesn't look like it has anything in it useful as far as this is concerned,I'll skip that for now.
    I'm not sure if your updates file will tell me what's happening,but that one might be worth a look.
    Could you open Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Update,then over to the left click Show Update log.Go to edit,select all,then rightclick,select Copy,then paste it here.

As for the updates,when you first click on Update,it does a status check,and the box comes up and tells you how many files are up-to-date.After that,you can click on the Update button to download any new updates.

Dess are you using the Windows Task-Planer?
    Which Version of Windows are you using?
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-02-28 at 09:00.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.

Unfortunately,I'm not sure why your Spybot is auto updating and immunizing.Your version shouldn't be.
    The immunizing logfile doesn't look like it has anything in it useful as far as this is concerned,I'll skip that for now.
    I'm not sure if your updates file will tell me what's happening,but that one might be worth a look.
    Could you open Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Update,then over to the left click Show Update log.Go to edit,select all,then rightclick,select Copy,then paste it here.

As for the updates,when you first click on Update,it does a status check,and the box comes up and tells you how many files are up-to-date.After that,you can click on the Update button to download any new updates.
    The whole update log? It looks pretty hefty! It's exceeding the character count, I can't seem to post it here. I've uploaded it to pastebin, here is the link to the log - Spybot update log

I have just reinstalled it as well, thinking I missed something during installation of the new Spybot. During first installation, I must have chosen the option "I want to be protected without having to attend to anything myself", although it did say at that point that I can change that setting later...
    I also must have left everything ticked at Select Additional Tasks screen during installation... it confuses me. If free edition doesn't even have scheduling, why was I given these options (especially considering that if ticked scheduling works, I have no way of turning it off in free ed)?

Quote Originally Posted by bbnetwork View Post
    Dess are you using the Windows Task-Planer?
    Which Version of Windows are you using?
    I have Win7 64-bit and not using task scheduler, I like having full manual control of my system whenever possible and feasible.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, I was starting to worry I would have to do without Spybot altogether, a prospect I do not like. I've never been without it.

Quote Originally Posted by dess086 View Post
    I have just reinstalled it as well, thinking I missed something during installation of the new Spybot. During first installation, I must have chosen the option "I want to be protected without having to attend to anything myself", although it did say at that point that I can change that setting later...
    I also must have left everything ticked at Select Additional Tasks screen during installation... it confuses me. If free edition doesn't even have scheduling, why was I given these options (especially considering that if ticked scheduling works, I have no way of turning it off in free ed)?
    Hi dess,

even if the free edition dont have sheduled tasks, like sehduled Updates or Immunisation, it creates entry into the Windows Task-Planer, which are:

- performing a scan, once a month
    - updating (i believe once a day, but not sure here)

Into free edition, you can not modify or delete the existing tasks within Spybot this easy and you also cannot add new Tasks or select the level of automatism.

The reason why this tasks are created, is Spybot wants to make u safe, and therefore you need new updates and should scan your system sometimes.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-02-28 at 13:48.

שלום

Hi dess,

even if the free edition dont have sheduled tasks, like sehduled Updates or Immunisation, it creates entry into the Windows Task-Planer, which are:

- performing a scan, once a month
    - updating (i believe once a day, but not sure here)

Into free edition, you can not modify or delete the existing tasks within Spybot this easy and you also cannor add new Tasks or select the level of automatism.
    I don't want it to update automatically, it crashes every single fullscreen program I may be running at the time. Once a day is a bit much. Sometimes it's even twice per evening, it can get pretty frustrating. Games are okay, I can live without saving data in them, but if I'm working on a project, I can't allow it to crash my programs and losing progress just because it wants to update. There must be a way around this without spending money on an upgrade (money which I sorely lack, if I may add).

As i sayed

The reason why this tasks are created, is Spybot wants to make u safe, and therefore you need new updates and should scan your system sometimes.
    As far as i knew, Spybot trys to update as soon as you login and have internet-access.
    So maybe it would help to wait till it have done its Updates, before you start to work on your Project.

You also could start the Update manually, just the way as Zenobia told you, this way, the auto-update should be skipped, because you would have already the latest updates.
    Please make sure, you run the Updater with Admin-Rights!
    In some cases, the updater need this Admin-Rights again, for his own, even Spybot is already runned as Admin, in this case the files will be shown as not up to date, even if u just updated before.
    To get rid of this, rightlick the Application and select "Run as Administaror", you can do so also with the SDUpdate.exe into the Spybot-Directory. (open Spybot-Directory, select the SDUpdate.exe , rightlick the Application and select "Run as Administaror").
    Into the Updater, you need to click the "Update" Button again, after the Status-Check completed.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-02-28 at 13:59.

שלום

As i sayed

As far as i knew, Spybot trys to update as soon as you login and have internet-access.
    So maybe it would help to wait till it have done its Updates, before you start to work on your Project.

You also could start the Update manually, just the way as Zenobia told you, this way, the auto-update should be skipped, because you would have already the latest updates.
    Please make sure, you run the Updater with Admin-Rights!
    In some cases, the updater need this Admin-Rights again, for his own, even Spybot is already runned as Admin, in this case the files will be shown as not up to date, even if u just updated before.
    To get rid of this, rightlick the Application and select "Run as Administaror", you can do so also with the SDUpdate.exe into the Spybot-Directory. (open Spybot-Directory, select the SDUpdate.exe , rightlick the Application and select "Run as Administaror").
    Into the Updater, you need to click the "Update" Button again, after the Status-Check completed.
    It's not as soon as I log in and have internet access, because my laptop is on from morning till evening and it's in the evening that it decides to update. Running the updater manually beforehand makes no difference, it will still launch on its own, and sometimes running it manually makes it worse - it ends up automatically starting twice more afterwards. I scan my system once a week anyway, manually, so I don't need it to do it for me. I don't tend to forget to do this, it's part of my weekly maintenance routine.
    Also, every part of Spybot I run is with admin rights specifically, by right-clicking to make sure.