Thread: Windows.security.internetexplorer

Default Windows.security.internetexplorer

I searched the site about this, and only found one thread, but it was in german, LOL. Forgive me if I've overlooked a posting about this!! Anyway, I get the following "thing" with my scan. It's called "windows.security.internetexplorer" It's apparently a registry change. What should be done about it? I don't like messing with my registry, so to find this is a bit disturbing. I have Windows ME (GAH, anyone wanna give me XP?! ) and I run Firefox.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Is this the detection you are getting?

Code:
    Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
      HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1
    If so there are several threads on the subject (in English):

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks mate, looks like you're the person to ask! I don't know why those threads didn't show up for me, ah wells.

I got a question though, I'm trying to make sense of the whole "auto symbol" or whatever thing... the wording is quite strange. I don't even HAVE WinXP, so does that situation even apply to me? I guess, should I just "fix" it, or ignore it when it comes up on scans?

Thanks a lot for helping me!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The detection is for a setting within Internet Explorer so it would apply whether you are running Windows XP or not.

I don't understand what "auto symbol" thing you are talking about. Are you are referring to "AutoShapes" in the following article?

I only referenced that article to point out that there may be valid reasons to reduce the security settings within Internet Explorer. However if you did not intentionally change the setting in Internet Explorer from its default value, then you should consider fixing the detection.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Sorry, I mean "autoshapes". Okay. I don't use IE though...... haven't for months. Do I need to worry about it then?