Thread: How to exclude virtumonde from scan?

Default How to exclude virtumonde from scan?

Hello,
    I have checked all the items under "all products" pertaining to virtumonde but scan still looks for those items.

What does it take to get that totally excluded from the scans? Does it take a total computer reboot instead of just closing Spybot and restarting? I've never seen that infection and I've worked on thousands of computers.

I did a search for this, but everything was about removing virtumonde infections.

Thank you
    Last edited by cork1958; 2014-12-04 at 14:45.

I added all Virtumonde to the ignore list,and watched,and I didn't see any in the scan(well,I stopped once to make coffee,but it wasn't up to the v's yet.)
    I think we have different versions though.You have Spybot 1.6.2?
    I'm not sure why they weren't ignored.Try going back into the Ignore list,and make sure they're all still checkmarked.I had 16 instances of Virtumonde on the ignore list,make sure you got them all.Most seem to start with Virtumonde,but there is also a Win32.Virtumonde.ha in there,as well.

Yes,
    I am using version 1.6.2. I admit, I did forget about the other names for virtumonde. Thanks for the info on how many you had checked. Will go look now.

Thank you

You're welcome.Hope it works.

The only one I had missed was that Win32 one. Had me confused because when it was scanning and even though I had the other 15 items checked, it was still showing most of the names of the ones already checked.

Thanks again

Must be 1 more virtumonde hiding some where as I just did a scan and still see it scanning for that, although it does it very fast and towards the very end.

Went through the list of all products twice and about went cross eyed looking at all the stuff!!

Have the scan time down to 7:58 on this machine now though. Much better!! Might actually be inclined to use this more often now. As it is, I JUST installed it again after not using this since about the time I joined this forum!

Good,glad you found most of them.
    7:58?And I was impressed with my own scan time of only 100 or so minutes,lol.

Now you see why I wanted to exclude that virtumonde stuff!! I'll trust my host file and AV to block virtumonde and my other malware scanners to find virtumonde when and IF I ever get that, but like I said, I've NEVER seen that infection before.

Maybe I should ask this as one last question. Does the new version of Spybot have a quick scan feature in it?

I have another question regarding virtumonde now. Just went through and checked off those 16 items and then closed and restarted Spybot. I then ran a scan and it's still scanning for vitumonde.sci and virtumonde.sdn. Actually, closing and restarting didn't appear to make a difference as I started a scan before closing Spybot but aborted it when I saw it was still scanning the virtumonde stuff. That was when I closed it and restarted.

I'm on a different machine then yesterday although the specs of this machine are just about the same as machine I was on yesterday, with the only real difference being this is a 64bit, Windows 7 machine where as yesterday I was on a 32bit, Windows 7 machine.

The total time for scan was 15:21 on this machine, which isn't bad, but why is Spybot still scanning for that virtumonde stuff?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cork1958 View Post
    I have another question regarding virtumonde now. Just went through and checked off those 16 items and then closed and restarted Spybot. I then ran a scan and it's still scanning for vitumonde.sci and virtumonde.sdn. Actually, closing and restarting didn't appear to make a difference as I started a scan before closing Spybot but aborted it when I saw it was still scanning the virtumonde stuff. That was when I closed it and restarted.

I'm on a different machine then yesterday although the specs of this machine are just about the same as machine I was on yesterday, with the only real difference being this is a 64bit, Windows 7 machine where as yesterday I was on a 32bit, Windows 7 machine.

The total time for scan was 15:21 on this machine, which isn't bad, but why is Spybot still scanning for that virtumonde stuff?

Thank you
    I'm not sure.Closing and reopening Spybot should be enough to get it to stick to the ignore list,if I remember that correctly,but you could try rebooting the computer after checking vitumonde.sci and virtumonde.sdn in the Ignore List,to see if it is ignored.

No,the new Spybot doesn't have a quick scan feature,but it can be set to do a minimal scan in Settings->Categories.And the Home and Pro versions have scan options where you can uncheck all drives,so that it scans processes,which is quicker.
    Speaking of minimum scan,that reminds me,you should have that option in Spybot 1.6.2,I think.It should be able to be set by going to Mode,Advanced Mode,Settings,File Sets,then somewhere in the window to the right,rightclick and select Minimal Scan.