Thread: newly installed version 2.4.40.0 free blocked Windows updates

Default newly installed version 2.4.40.0 free blocked Windows updates

Hi Friends,
    I've just upgraded my Spybot S&D to version 2.4.40.0 (free edition) (from 1.6.2 ). But the next time I tried to get a Windows update (maybe 30 min after upgrading), it was blocked -- error code 80072EFD. I thought I might need to add the 3 domains/urls shown in the Windows help file for that error code (below), to Ignore Lists > Domains and/or URLs. But I can't figure out how to add them. There is only a Remove button. I've tried clicking in the open field, double-clicking, and right-clicking. But there doesn't seem to be any way to add domains/URLs there.

http://*.update.microsoft.com
    https://*.update.microsoft.com
    http://download.windowsupdate.com

So I'm not sure if that is the proper way to have the Windows updates allowed, in the first place. But if it is, how do I add the domains/URLs?

Thanks for your help

Hello.

That is correct,you can't add a domain or url to the ignore list manually.The way that something would be added to the whitelist there is if Spybot gave you a notification in your browser that a webpage was blocked,and then you could choose to add it to the whitelist.And then later,if you were to change your mind,you could remove the whitelisted webpage from the URL and/or Domains ignore list.

I think what may be preventing the windows updates is the Spybot proxy.There's an update available now that disables the proxy by default,and then people can turn it on later if they choose to.In your case,since there's a problem getting windows updates,which are very important,it might be best to turn the proxy off.So,if you haven't updated Spybot yet,please open Spybot start center,check Advanced User Mode,click Update,then click the Update button at the top.

If you continue to have problems getting windows updates after that,then you can open Spybot start center again,then click Settings,the Internet Protection tab,uncheck Use Spybot Proxy,then click Apply and OK.

Oh yes, I updated Spybot S&D it right after installing. And the proxy is on. But the Windows updates downloaded and installed without any problem today!

So I'll have to keep an eye on it. Maybe I tried the Windows update too quickly after installing S&D? I'll post again if I continue to have trouble.

Thanks for your help

You're welcome.