Thread: unwanted program was downloaded and installed without my permission

Default unwanted program was downloaded and installed without my permission

Hello.

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed your FileAlyzer tool.

Afterwards, I noticed that another program was downloaded along with it and placed onto my computer without notice and without permission.

The name of the unwanted program is TagsRevisited. Apparently, it's some sort of music-editing tool from Safer-Networking. It has absolutely nothing to do with FileAlyzer so there is no reason that it should have been installed along it, especially without my permission.

I never expected anything like this to happen downloading something from here, so what's going on? Why is Safer-Networking allowing TagsRevisited to piggyback onto downloads of other programs and to be installed without consent?

I downloaded filealyzer to look,and I ended up with a TagsRevisited folder in my documents folder.I had it before,though I don't believe it was on this computer,and the folder was created today,so yep,I assume it came with the filealyzer.Mine just has a databases folder with 2 text files,and I couldn't find any signs of tagsrevisited on my computer.If that's what you have,you could delete them if you wish.
    If you have the full TagsRevisited,then I found an older post where I see it was listed in add/remove programs,so you can uninstall from Uninstall a Program or Add/Remove Programs,whichever you have.

Bit of a mystery,that's not something that usually happens.I looked and I couldn't find anything about any parts of tagsrevisited being included in filealyzer,but it was a long time ago,so I don't remember exactly.Perhaps it's an oops,or some sort of sample to use with filealyzer,if only the folder is what you have?I'm not sure.

So that you can see a little bit about what tagsrevisited is,I'll show you this:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...9931#post59931
    And I know the issue isn't this,I know your concerns are that it was downloaded/put on your computer unknowingly,but I had tagsrevisited a long time ago,and it was safe.

Johnny, thanks for your post. I was going to buy the program yesterday until I saw your Post and I changed my mind. I didn't want to get involved with a company that would permit that. Too bad because I thought the Free Version was great.

Zenobia,

Thanks for the info.

And, yes, I do believe, at this time, that TagsRevisited was most likely included in the FileAlyzer download due to some sort of "oops." Maybe a part of the TagsRevisited code somehow got mixed in with the FileAlyzer code or something.

However, due to the post right above this one, the post from Sharss (and by the way, I never meant for my post to scare away any of your potential customers), along with my own concern, I think you should elevate this to someone who can officially address it and even better, to fix it.

Although the TagsRevisited folder is probably completely benign, being in the spyware/malware-removal business, I'm sure you know that strange folders appearing out of nowhere tend to really freak users out, so can you elevate this, please?

No,I can't elevate this,there's no way for me to do so.