Thread: Genuine Windows Notification

Default Genuine Windows Notification

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I started receiving notifications that I was not running Genuine Windows. However, I definitely have a legal version of Windows (I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64-bit operating system).

First, I just closed the notification. After another notification or two, I followed up by clicking on the message that said something like "Resolve Problem Online." I hope that I did not make things even worse by installing and running a file called WindowsActivationUpdate.exe.

At first I thought that it solved the problem, but the notifications keep coming.

I have completely scanned my system with the paid version of Spybot. No serious problems were found, but I fixed the few issues that did come up.

I am still getting the notifications.

Could somebody please help.

Thank you.

Stanley
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-03-06 at 23:53. Reason: Moved from the malware forum :-)

Hello Stanley Metric_unit,

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Metric_unit View Post
    Yesterday I started receiving notifications that I was not running Genuine Windows. However, I definitely have a legal version of Windows (I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64-bit operating system).

First, I just closed the notification. After another notification or two, I followed up by clicking on the message that said something like "Resolve Problem Online." I hope that I did not make things even worse by installing and running a file called WindowsActivationUpdate.exe.

At first I thought that it solved the problem, but the notifications keep coming.
    There are various reasons for receiving such a message.

To start the troubleshooting may I ask if you purchased your computer from a manufacturer, for instance Dell.

When you ran WindowsActivationUpdate.exe did you receive a Diagnostic Report containing Windows Validation Data.

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-03-07 at 00:10. Reason: Clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Stanley Metric_unit,

There are various reasons for receiving such a message.

To start the troubleshooting may I ask if you purchased your computer from a manufacturer, for instance Dell.

When you ran WindowsActivationUpdate.exe did you receive a Diagnostic Report containing Windows Validation Data.

Best regards.
    Hi Tashi,

Thank you for your reply.

My old hard drive finally failed after several years of use. In early December 2014, I went to a reputable local computer-repair service, which sold me a new hard drive with Windows 7 installed. I highly doubt (I certainly hope not) that the computer-repair store sold me a bootlegged copy of Windows.

When I ran WindowsActivationUpdate.exe a couple of days ago, I don't recall the precise message. But I paid little attention to it, because it gave a satisfactory response -- something to the effect that everything was now resolved. I was surprised when the next day I got the message again that my copy of Windows was non-genuine.

And incidentally, if my copy of Windows is non-genuine (it better not be), then why has it taken several months for me to get this message? As I say, I got the new hard drive in early December 2014, and I first got this message just a few days ago (early March 2015) -- three months later.

Stanley

Hello Stanley,

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Metric_unit View Post
    My old hard drive finally failed after several years of use. In early December 2014, I went to a reputable local computer-repair service, which sold me a new hard drive with Windows 7 installed. I highly doubt (I certainly hope not) that the computer-repair store sold me a bootlegged copy of Windows.
    A log will show what kind of key you have so I will direct you to a free tech help site, all you have to do is register like you did here.

Please start a topic in this forum Microsoft Windows™ at What The Tech.

Someone will guide you so you can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

If you use the same name there, (Stanley Metric_unit) I will follow along.

tashi

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Stanley,

A log will show what kind of key you have so I will direct you to a free tech help site, all you have to do is register like you did here.

Please start a topic in this forum Microsoft Windows™ at What The Tech.

Someone will guide you so you can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

If you use the same name there, (Stanley Metric_unit) I will follow along.

tashi
    Hi Tashi,

I have posted the question to What the Tech, as you asked me to do.

I used the name Stanley M, because I could not use such a long name as Stanley Metric_unit.

Thank you for your help, Tashi.

Stanley

Might not be tonight but help is on the way.

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index...43#entry863075

Hi Tashi,

Thank you for your help with this. I will stay posted.

Stanley

Default This computer is not running genuine windows virus

I started receiving the "This computer is not running genuine windows" message problem.

I bought the PC directly from Dell so it is running genuine Windows.

I have purchased Spybot virus protection and have immunized my laptop and run a full scan and it still return.

Why isn't spybot fixing this problem.

This computer.jpg

Hello FrankEmolo,

There can be various reasons for receiving such a message.

What is the operating system please.

Best regards.