Thread: Show All But "legit" Entries !?!?

Question Show All But "legit" Entries !?!?

WHen I choose show all but legit entries...what does it show me? Bad entries? Entries that should be stopped or deleted? ??

Are you seeing that in Startup Tools?

Default Startup Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Are you seeing that in Startup Tools?
    I was in startup tools, Process List. When I hit Hide Legit it changes the list. Are these Illegitimate processes? Are they not needed, bad, ugly?????

It also does the same in Advanced Startup, Scheduled Tasks, Explorer Plugins...
    Last edited by jagape; 2015-03-28 at 17:25.

Show all but legit entries hides entries that are known to be legitimate to Spybot,leaving only bad or unknown entries shown.
    Bad entries you'd obviously not want,but an entry being Unknown to Spybot doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.
    If you're unsure about a process,some can be looked up here:
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/
    This place,a lot of startup items can be found:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

In the Process List section,legitimate items are highlighted in green.I don't have any bad items currently,but I believe those are still shown in red.

Be careful in there.Some sections are tricky.For an example,if you look in the Hosts section,you might see a whole bunch of less than reputable sites listed,and your first instinct might be to get rid of them all.But if those sites have a 127.0.0.1 next to them,the sites are very likely part of Spybot's immunization,and are there to keep the bad sites from being accessed by your browser.If someone were to accidentally go to one of those sites,a page cannot be displayed would be shown.
    It's definitely not a good idea to start going through and disabling everything that is Unknown in the different sections,you could run into problems.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2015-03-29 at 03:07.

Thumbs up Thankyou Zenobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Show all but legit entries hides entries that are known to be legitimate to Spybot,leaving only bad or unknown entries shown.
    Bad entries you'd obviously not want,but an entry being Unknown to Spybot doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.
    If you're unsure about a process,some can be looked up here:
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/
    This place,a lot of startup items can be found:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

In the Process List section,legitimate items are highlighted in green.I don't have any bad items currently,but I believe those are still shown in red.

Be careful in there.Some sections are tricky.For an example,if you look in the Hosts section,you might see a whole bunch of less than reputable sites listed,and your first instinct might be to get rid of them all.But if those sites have a 127.0.0.1 next to them,the sites are very likely part of Spybot's immunization,and are there to keep the bad sites from being accessed by your browser.If someone were to accidentally go to one of those sites,a page cannot be displayed would be shown.
    It's definitely not a good idea to start going through and disabling everything that is Unknown in the different sections,you could run into problems.
    Just what my old brain needed to hear, read, acknowledge!!!!!

You're welcome.