Thread: Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service failed on XP SP3.

Default Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service failed on XP SP3.

I am getting messages in my Event Viewer that this service keeps failing and I cannot restart it.
    I am running SB S&D Free Edition v2.4.
    Any suggestions on this?
    Thank you.

Doug

Is it a time-out error you're seeing in Event Viewer?

Yes it is.

Okay,thanks.
    Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service is dependant on the Security Center Service(Windows Security Center).Is your Windows Security Center enabled and running?

Yes it is running.

Looking at past threads,me and Flyvapnet tried increasing ServicesPipeTimeout to give Spybot Scanner Service and Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service some more time to successfully start.That helped Flyvapnet's Scanner Service to start,but the Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service was a no go.So it's possible increasing the time for a time-out might not work for you either.I'll link you to the point where the Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service still would not start:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...l=1#post454568
    This is the entire thread,if you want to view it:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ngs-won-t-hold!

Would you be okay with setting the Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service to manual,since it isn't starting correctly?It would save you from having to muck around in the registry when there's a chance it may not work.This page is for Windows Vista,but it should roughly be the same as Windows XP security center.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...nter#section_3
    There's no Live Protection with Spybot Free edition,so if Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service is set to manual,all that should be missing is that there would be no alert from Windows Security Center that Spybot was out of date.Updates are generally released every Wednesday,so it would just be a matter of remembering to checking for Updates for Spybot on that day.

Setting Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service to manual should stop it from attempting to start when your computer starts,and the time-out error shouldn't be in event viewer after that.If you'd be okay with that,let me know,and I'll post instructions on how to set it to manual.

Thank you for the information.
    I will set the Service to manual.

Doug

You're welcome.
    In case you need instructions:
    Go to Start,Run,type services.msc,scroll down to Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service,doubleclick it,set the start up type to manual,then click Apply and Ok.