Thread: Unable to uninstall Spybot--need HELP!

Exclamation Unable to uninstall Spybot--need HELP!

I installed Spybot on 1-22-14 among other Anti-virus/Malware progs like Ad-Aware, Bit Defender and Malware Bytes. I believe it was version 2.1 but somewhere along the line it updated itself to version 2.2.

I have a Windows 8 system (originally 8.0 but updated to 8.1 somewhere along the line).

I began noticing that my computer would stall out and discovered that since I had so many AV's running periodically in the background that they were using up a lot of system resources and was advised by the computer manufacturer tech support to disable or get rid of some of the AV's as they were also redundant. Also, the manufacturer recommended the removal of some of the AV's to resolve an independent problem I reported that after a period of time the screen display would "flicker" (kind of like batting your eyelashes rapidly) and then I would get an error message that Windows needed to shut IE on some occasions, other times I would shut down IE manually but several times the computer "locked up" necessitating having to hold down the Control, Alt and delete buttons to engage Task Manager in order to shut down IE. This usually occurred whe I had several browser (IE) windows open with 1 or more of them having embedded vids or banners, etc. taking up a lot of system resources or so they said.

So I uninstalled Ad-Aware in Control Panel without any probs whatsoever. I also removed Comodo, which I recently installed because I wasn't satisfied that Windows Defender was adequate as a firewall, which also uninstalled in Control Panel without a glitch. However, when I tried to remove Spybot I received the first of several different error messages that certain files were missing (i.e. Sdtray.exe-System error. Program can't start because rtl150.bpl is missing" and then "unins000.msg" is missing.

So I sent an email (1st of about 5-6 now) to Spybot tech and they sent me the "missing files" but even though I installed them as directed it did not resolve the problem. Instead, I have been getting a different error message that the "Set Up file is corrupt" and to install Spybot again. I have tried doing so but it did not work nor was I able to install a utility program from this website. Spybot tech support then asked me replace the unins000.exe and unins000.msg files when I received error messages pertaining to those 2 files and was eventually able to do so but I get the same "Set up file is corrupt" error message.

I have tried everything I can think of but can't uninstall Spybot. I don't possess the ability to go into the Registry and try to remove whatever values Spybot installed. It's my understanding that simply deleting the Spybot folder and all of its contents from Program Files will not uninstall Spybot completely from my system.

I have asked or rather pleaded with Spybot tech support to send me a utility commonly used by other software companies to take remote control of my computer to resolve this issue but they haven't responded to that request. I'm wondering if running my computer in Safe Mode might be successful in getting rid of Spybot which they also haven't responded to. All I get is the files mentioned above being sent and removing and/or replacing them has not resolved this problem.

I frequently now have to wait anywhere from 5-15 minutes when Spybot begins running in the background especially as soon as I go on the Internet. On some occasions unless I thought ahead and started up Task Manager beforehand, Task manager wont start up at all and I have to do a "search" for it which displays that 20-60% of CPU and/or Memory (RAM) are in use with 100% of disk in use.

I'm at my wits end about how to get rid of Spybot and need HELP. The problem with Spybot is seriously impacting my home business let alone extremely frustrating and I can't get rid of it so I'm open to suggestions.

If support responds again,please follow them,rather than me. But in the meantime:
    When are you getting the "Set Up file is corrupt" message?Is it when you're attempting to uninstall it,or when you start the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    If support responds again,please follow them,rather than me. But in the meantime:
    When are you getting the "Set Up file is corrupt" message?Is it when you're attempting to uninstall it,or when you start the program?
    When attempting to uninstall Spybot. I get the other error messages re: files missing when trying to either run Spybot or installing the files support tells me to install.

Okay,thanks.

This is a bit of a tough one.Let's concentrate on this for the moment,and then go from there after it's dealt with:
    I frequently now have to wait anywhere from 5-15 minutes when Spybot begins running in the background especially as soon as I go on the Internet. On some occasions unless I thought ahead and started up Task Manager beforehand, Task manager wont start up at all and I have to do a "search" for it which displays that 20-60% of CPU and/or Memory (RAM) are in use with 100% of disk in use.
    If that's dealt with,it should make things more manageable until the uninstall problem can be dealt with.I'm thinking the above happening might be the Spybot proxy,especially since you mentioned it happens when you go on the internet.However,before looking at that,I'll also ask if you had the Spybot free version or a paid version.The reason I'm asking is the paid version includes Live Protection,and that could be running at windows startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Okay,thanks.

This is a bit of a tough one.Let's concentrate on this for the moment,and then go from there after it's dealt with:

If that's dealt with,it should make things more manageable until the uninstall problem can be dealt with.I'm thinking the above happening might be the Spybot proxy,especially since you mentioned it happens when you go on the internet.However,before looking at that,I'll also ask if you had the Spybot free version or a paid version.The reason I'm asking is the paid version includes Live Protection,and that could be running at windows startup.
    It's the free version.

I've tried disabling Spybot AFTER starting up the computer but every time I turn it back on Spybot comes back.

Any hope of removing it in Safe Mode? I also tried going back in time using system restore but that didn't work.

I could do the Reg Editing provided somebody walked me thru it step by step but one false move or wrong thing removed and the computer becomes inoperable. I do NOT want to have to do a complete system wipe and re-install Win 8 or maybe Win 7 if I can find it. I can't believe this is happening and after my registration finally got processed (took 1 /12 days), I haven't heard from Spybot support again.
    Last edited by ridiculous84; 2015-04-12 at 01:57.

No,I don't think safe mode would work with this,but we can see later.
    I will try to avoid the registry,too.

Please follow here to open Internet Options:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Please click the Connections tab,then the Lan Settings button.If "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is checkmarked,uncheck it.Click "OK",and click "OK" in the previous window.
    If after doing that you have any problems connecting to the internet,please go back and recheck Use a proxy server for your LAN,click Ok and Ok again,then come back and tell me about it.

This part might be difficult,since you have some troubles opening Task Manager.But,if you can get that open,then please refer here to get to your Startup tab:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...8-startup-tab/
    Once there,rightclick anything there called Spybot - Search & Destroy and disable it.They also might be called sdcleaner,or sdtray.If you're unsure on anything,then the publisher should be listed as Safer Networking Ltd.

These two things won't uninstall Spybot,but it should make the situation more workable for the moment,and less hectic,so perhaps uninstalling spybot can be dealt with.That might not be easy if the uninstaller/setup file is corrupted,but I'll try my best to help.