Thread: activex removal not working

Default activex removal not working

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

About 6 months ago I used BT connection manager to look after my net connection (security etc). This involved putting an activex onto my system (btwebcontrol.dll), when I moved provider I deleted this software. I recently checked SB activex and saw that it was reporting btwebcontrol was still an activex on my system, so I used SB to remove the activex and teatimer detected that it had been deleted and I restarted SB to check it had gone - which it had. However when I restarted my computer the activex had returned.

Can anybody help me remove it and why does it keep reappearing?

Thanks

P.S btwebcontrol.dll does no longer exist on my computer and the activex is removed from the registry when SB does it (it checked).
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot > Help > About)?

Do you have TeaTimer activated?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Its spybot 1.4 with teatimer active and the latest updates installed.
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

How are you answering the TeaTimer messages when you delete the ActiveX process?

Are you getting any messages concerning the ActiveX process during system startup from TeaTimer?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

When I remove the activex teatimer says that it has allowed the registry change. On reboot teatimer doesnt report anything and nothing appears in the log file but the activex returns

Jim B:

Try the following:
    1. Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This brings up a window titled "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
      • Allowed processes
      • Blocked processes
      • Allowed registry changes
      • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

Inspected the entries under both "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes" buttons (although I believe the entry you will be looking for is in "Allowed registry changes").

You should find an entry related to the ActiveX process that you are having problems deleting (look for entries that are for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units").

Delete any entries that you find for that registry change by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry and then clicking the "OK" button.

2. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > ActiveX and delete the ActiveX entry.

3. When your receive the TeaTimer dialog message concerning the deletion on the ActiveX respond "Allowchange", do not check "Remember this decision".

4. Refresh Teatimer's snapshot files as follows:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
        • TeaTimer closes.
        • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
      • Restart TeaTimer:
        • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
        • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

5. Reboot your system and the go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > ActiveX and see if the ActiveX process is gone.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-09-10 at 23:00.