Thread: First post - Spybot and Windows Defender not detecting infection

Default First post - Spybot and Windows Defender not detecting infection

Hi.

I seem to have some sort of malware/adware but a full scan by Spybot and Windows Defender each find nothing.

Symptoms include:

* Hyperlinks being automatically inserted into Yuku forum posts. Random words are hyperlinked in my posts and I see them in the posts from other people. I posted a query about this, no one else is seeing these hyperlinks but me.

The hyperlinks appear in Firefox and IE.

They all show the same popup saying that due to recent data breaches they are offering a "free credit scores" to everyone.

(I was unable to upload a jpg of the popup, once I select the jpg your upload screen grays out, and when I upload to Photobucket I am having issues there too.)

* When on a Yuku forum the tab heading keeps spinning and saying it is updating.

* Random tabs and browser windows open to advertising or requests to update my video program.

* Clicking to close tabs on normal legit websites launch other tabs including one saying Firefox lacks important updates for Windows 8.1 should call for immediate PC scan.

* PC runs hard and slow.

Any of this sound familiar?

Like I said, full Windows Defender and Spybot both ran and found zero items to remove, other than basic tracking cookies, all with low green threat status, but I "fixed" them anyway.

Hello tspnyc,

For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016