Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: run Spybot+AV and Norton 360 at the same time?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default run Spybot+AV and Norton 360 at the same time?

    Pardon my ignorance, but I always believed that you cannot run TWO antivirus programs on the SAME computer.. because of conflicts.

    Please educate me. Am I correct?

    But, can I run these two together on my laptop? Why is that?
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-11-15 at 18:38. Reason: Moved from Spybot Beta

  2. #2
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,476

    Default

    Hello urgetoo,

    A laptop is the same as a desktop, still a computer.

    Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

    Having more than one resident can cause performance problems and a serious system slowdown.

    More is not always better. Usually one can have several anti spyware type programs installed without issue, although one may decide to choose one resident real time protection.

    Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default Can I use Spybot+AV along with Norton 360? Or just stay with the free version?

    Is Spybot+AV a true antivirus program?

    Should I not upgrade and use it, since Norton 360 is my primary antivirus program? (causing conflicts)

  4. #4
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,476

    Default

    Hello urgetoo,

    Quote Originally Posted by urgetoo View Post
    Is Spybot+AV a true antivirus program?

    Should I not upgrade and use it, since Norton 360 is my primary antivirus program? (causing conflicts)
    Not sure what you mean by "a true antivirus program"

    Spybot +AV = antispyware and antivirus.

    Only you can decide the software you install on your computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default I guess I'm not communicating: Is SPY+AV a standalone antivirus program? OR...

    OR, does it work IN CONJUNCTION WITH other antivirus programs, like Kaspersky/Norton NAV/Webroot/Bitdefender, etc.

    In other words, will there be a conflict if both are installed on the same computer?

  6. #6
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,476

    Default

    Hello urgetoo,

    Quote Originally Posted by urgetoo View Post
    I guess I'm not communicating: Is SPY+AV a standalone antivirus program?
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Spybot +AV = antispyware and antivirus.
    Spybot + AV is one software package which contains anti-spyware, anti-malware protection and an Anti-Virus with a Bitdefender engine.

    Quote Originally Posted by urgetoo View Post
    OR, does it work IN CONJUNCTION WITH other antivirus programs, like Kaspersky/Norton NAV/Webroot/Bitdefender, etc.
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by urgetoo View Post
    In other words, will there be a conflict if both are installed on the same computer?
    Yes, if one is speaking of installing more than one anti-virus program.

    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
    Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    In addition: can the antivirus engine be canceled if you want to have a total system scan performed?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •