Thread: Do I need to upgrade from 1.6.2 ?

Default Do I need to upgrade from 1.6.2 ?

Hi.

I'm running Spybot 1.6.2 on Windows XP. Today Spybot wanted me to upgrade to 2.4 which has an option for antivirus.

But I've already got Norton. While I don't like Symantec, Norton auto-protect is all right. I can't get back money from not using Norton so I'm not going to pay for another program.

If I don't want to use Spybot as antivirus, what's the point in upgrading Spybot? Version 1.6.2 seems to work well, or is it a problem with it I don't know about?

You don't have to get the Spybot 2.4 with antivirus,there is a Spybot 2.4 free edition available.The point of upgrading Spybot from 1.6.2 is that it is old,and you don't have to use it,there is a newer free one available for private use.
    However,Spybot 1.6.2 is still available,and continues to receive updates,the last I checked,so you can stick with that one if you want to,also.I've seen nothing announced that it is ending.

My CPU, an Intel Pentium III from around 2001 which was really really good at the time, have problems with many new programs. There are hardly any modern software that isn't bloated and resource hogs.

Some times new software versions are less demanding on hardware though. I don't know what's the case with Spybot 2.4?
    Last edited by Lancelot; 2015-05-23 at 12:14.

There are recommended hardware requirements listed here:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/

I did run a Spybot 2.4 version on my old XP computer for a time,and that computer did have some trouble with it.I mean Spybot ran and all that,but it was slower starting and scanning on that computer.That XP computer was in very,very bad shape when I got it,though,so that might not indicate the experience you might have.

So,it's up to you,of course.You could try Spybot 2.4 free edition,and if it doesn't work out,you could go back to 1.6.2.Or you could also just stick with 1.6.2 if you want to.I've not seen anything to indicate support for 1.6.2 is ending anywhere,unless I missed it.

I do keep my XP offline now,as support ran out for that from Microsoft.I don't usually say much when somebody has XP because I don't want to appear like I'm telling people what to do,but it is a bit of a security risk,if you ever might consider something else:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...d-support-help
    I keep meaning to put some form of linux on my XP,but still haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thank you.

The recommended hardware page - both version 1.6.2 and 2.4 are mentioned on the page, so it may seem like the requirements are the same for both versions.

And the recommended hw are 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 and 1 GB RAM.
    I've got 850 MHz and my RAM is maxed out at 576 MB.

1.6.2 probably run a bit easier so I think I'll stick with it. Actually I've not seen any reason to upgrade regardless of hardware limitations.

I know XP is at risk, but I have never trusted Microsoft software to be safe anyway. So I have always relied on third party programs and not least myself to keep my PC clean. I would get a newer Windows if it would work on my PC, but the hardware requirements began to skyrocket with Vista so I can't upgrade from XP even though this laptop was close to high-end back in its day.

When I buy something - regardless of what it is - I want to use it until it is physically worn out, or until it stops working for any reason.
    The laptop still works, the Internet works but not very well. Web pages nowadays are so bloated that I found out my high bandwidth was a waste. If it takes 3 seconds to download a page, the CPU needs to chew on it for an additional 10-15 seconds before I can scroll it or interact with the page in any way. And I'm using adblock and a tool that blocks external scripts. So I reduced the bandwidth to a minimum and I have not noticed any slow downs.
    I'm reluctantly realizing this laptop is getting closer to retirement, but there's no rush.

But even when I'm using other modern and fast computers, websites doesn't work any better than they did in 2002 on my laptop. There have been a lot of development but I'm not so sure it has brought us forward.

You're welcome.

it's best to stick with v1.6.2, Lancelot. there's no compelling reason to upgrade to v2.x versions of Spybot since your PC isn't fast enough to handle the new versions.

I used to have some Intel P3 PCs but I dismantled them a few years ago (yup, took the PC parts apart and threw them away) because I got used PCs (from some friends and relatives several months ago) that are faster (a Compaq SR1303WM PC with AMD K7 Sempron 3000 2.0Ghz cpu with 1Gb of RAM, upgraded that PC to 2Gb of RAM and an HP A6110N computer with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.3Ghz dual-core CPU with 2gigs of RAM)

v2.4 of Spybot really demands horsepower (Intel i3/i5/i7, dual-core, quad-core CPUs etc.) with at least 1Gb of RAM

Default I do not like the GUI in 2.4 version

I think I will go back to the 1.6.2 version, the 2.4 works ok on my system but the new GUI looks like garbage to me.

The 1.6.2 still works and looks better with menu down the left side of window not like the new window filled with icons yuck.

Wish they would give us an option to go back to the old cleaner looking GUI with menu list down left side of window and a nice 3D Vista style window and buttons.

Mike / krezkey