This morning, I installed Windows 10 build 10240 over build 10162. I've had every Win10 build released to the Slow ring ever since the first Technical Preview version came out. SS&D 1.6.2.46 ran fine in every version up until this weekend, and it even survived successive installations of new builds.

After installing build 10240, though, things are very different: the Spybot desktop icon is gone, the icon in the notification area is gone, and there is no Spybot listing in the Start Menu (in either the new Metroized Start Menu or the Classic Shell Start Menu). Even the Spybot folders in C:\ProgramData and C:\Program Files (x86) are gone. It's as if Spybot had never been installed on this machine... except that it's listed under "Currently installed programs" in Control Panel. That's the only trace of it left. Go figure.

I still have the installation .EXE for Spybot 1.6.2.46 in the downloads folder. Will try and see if it installs properly.

This remarkable little program has worked for me on every version of the OS since Windows 98FE, up to and including Windows 10 build 10162. As far as I know it could even have worked on Windows 95. It would be a shame if it stopped working now, but if so it will have been a magnificent run.