Thread: Chief Architect stopped working immediatly after installation

Default Chief Architect stopped working immediatly after installation

Hi,

I got no problems really with the program. I purchased the professional version a week or so ago. But when I tried to start my Chief Architect a few days ago, it stopped working. (Yes, I'm registered with Chief Architect and have a license)

Anyway I thought I'd try to fix the problem myself by making a DEP exception, but right after I do, it's removed from the exceptions list. Hey, I really need that program. It's one of the tools I make a living with. A bit of help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Sorry, what I meant to say was I got no problems really with the program "Except"...

Does Chief Architect show any errors,or does it just not start?

Starts, then stops...

Default Information from the error

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: Chief Architect 80 Full.exe
    Application Version: 8.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 3c4c9c4a
    Fault Module Name: Chief Architect 80 Full.exe
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 3c4c9c4a
    Exception Offset: 008099cf
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 54fe
    Additional Information 2: 54fe8e2217fee2c0180fe6406d7993dc
    Additional Information 3: d251
    Additional Information 4: d25162effec3b73de55061e4d2d431f5

Ok,thanks.

A couple thoughts:
    When adding Chief Architect to the DEP exception list,are you getting any sort of messages like this,or is it just being removed from the list with no messages or prompts?:
    "This program must run with data execution protection (DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."
    Also,could you post the path you're following to Chief Architect when you click Add in DEP?
    And after adding Chief Architect,you're clicking Apply,and OK?
    If you didn't have any exceptions before you attempted to add Chief Architect to DEP,you should get a prompt that you need to restart your computer after adding Chief Architect.Are you getting that prompt?

Also,unrelated to Chief Architect,but there is a bit here about Bex errors under What is a Bex error:
    http://www.alteredgamer.com/left-4-d...rash-problems/

Also,after installing Spybot,did you get any prompts from Live Protection that you recall?
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2015-06-11 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Ok,thanks.

A couple thoughts:
    When adding Chief Architect to the DEP exception list,are you getting any sort of messages like this,or is it just being removed from the list with no messages or prompts?:
    "This program must run with data execution protection (DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."
    Also,could you post the path you're following to Chief Architect when you click Add in DEP?
    And after adding Chief Architect,you're clicking Apply,and OK?
    If you didn't have any exceptions before you attempted to add Chief Architect to DEP,you should get a prompt that you need to restart your computer after adding Chief Architect.Are you getting that prompt?

Also,unrelated to Chief Architect,but there is a bit here about Bex errors under What is a Bex error:
    http://www.alteredgamer.com/left-4-d...rash-problems/

Also,after installing Spybot,did you get any prompts from Live Protection that you recall?
    No errors except the one I posted. Now, here is the strangest thing about it. I looked into S&D Quarantine, and sure enough, there was Chief.exe. And with it, S&D reported a broken path, as if the directory had been completely removed. Now explain that one. Well, I looked in explorer and sure enough, Chief was gone. I re-installed it in another directory directly on C:\, made sure I put it on the DEP exception list, and the program loaded without a glitch. Go figure... I've not seen anything like that before.

Problem fixed I guess. Any idea what happened???
    Last edited by parsontim; 2015-06-11 at 21:36. Reason: Wrong phrasing...

I'm very glad you got Chief Architect to run again.

I think what happened might be that Chief Architect was removed after a System Scan,which is most likely a false positive.Either that,or perhaps it's related to System Repair,but that's probably less likely.Had you ran System Repair after you got Spybot?That's under Advanced Tools.

If you could post your Quarantine logfile,that might show more on it,if you'd like to do that.To get to that logfile,in Quarantine,if you click Show repair logs,and then scroll down,open Quarantine.log,then you could copy and paste it here.

I'm not seeing a quarantine log file. Could it be somewhere else or named differently?
    Senior Instructor for the Online Drafting School

No,usually it's in that location and named quarantine,probably somewhere below the checks.logfiles.Mine shows every purge I've done,and everything I've restored.If you don't have a quarantine logfile,maybe it's because when you tried to restore Chief.exe it wasn't successful,so it wasn't logged.That's a bit of a guess,but seems to make sense.
    In the same location,you should see some checks.logfiles.The date is appended to the end of them.If you can remember the date of when Chief Architect stopped working,then you could open and cut and paste that logfile here,and that should show it.

Also,if you cannot remember if you ran System Repair at any point,that has a logfile also.If that is present,you could also post that if you like,too.