Thread: What's going on???

Default What's going on???

I've used Spybot for years now without any problems whatsoever. I would however say I do not like the layout of
    the latest update.

Anyway, I decided to format my Win 7 PC as it was getting cluttered and I then reinstalled all the programs that are 'vital'.
    I downloaded the latest Spybot (2.4) but when I go to update it, it says there is no internet connection - n gfact there is as everything else is working and connecting OK. I have even switched off the (Tinywall) firewall but this made no difference. The program says there is no update log found and there is 'No internet connection available'.

As stated, I have never had problems with Spybot and I had it on this PC, working perfectly. I can see no logical reason why
    it should think there is no internet connection. I even tried reinstalling an old Spybot (version 162) but this too says 'A connection with the server could not be established'.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks.

Try opening Spybot Start Center.Checkmark Advanced User Mode,then click Settings(say yes to the UAC prompt,if applicable.),then click the Internet Protection tab.If checked,uncheck Use Spybot Proxy,then click Apply and OK.
    Try seeing if you can get updates after that.

Default Spybot still refuses to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Try opening Spybot Start Center.Checkmark Advanced User Mode,then click Settings(say yes to the UAC prompt,if applicable.),then click the Internet Protection tab.If checked,uncheck Use Spybot Proxy,then click Apply and OK.
    Try seeing if you can get updates after that.

On getting to the Internet protection, the top and bottom parts where there is a box, are all greyed out (and not ticked).
    I have just tried to run the program again and once again, I get the message:
    Missing signatures

The 'Start scan' etc options on the left are also all greyed out

On clicking 'Update' in the Missing signatures box,
    I get the message:

'No update log found'

And on the update box, it says:

'No internet connection available'.

This is ridiculous. As stated, I've used Spybot for years on umpteen different PCs and never had any
    problems. In this case I DO have an internet connection (Firefox is connecting normally) and I have
    even switched off the (Tiny) firewall. I have also deleted Spybot and reinstalled it, but it still
    refuses to update, claiming there is no internet connection.
    I have found Spybot to be a very good program and I will regret not being able to use it, but it
    seems as if there is a fault somewhere. I have it on an XP PC and an XP laptop and it works fine.
    And it worked on the PC in question (running Win 7) before I reformated the drive as it was
    getting cluttered. I reinstalled the few programs I have to have, e.g., Firefox, CC Cleaner,
    so it can hardly be a conflict.

Any ideas please?

I've just spent quite a while deleting most of the programs from my PC. As stated, I recently reformatted the drive; in fact there weren't that many programs on it after doing this. Nonetheless, I thought I would try this to ensure nothing was conflicting with Spybot.
    Anyway, Spybot STILL won't work and STILL insists there is no internet connection (when there is).

I also tried the Scanner Service and after clicking on Start, I am told.it could not start and 'the reason given by the system (1053)'. and the service did not respond in a timely manner
    In the case of the Updating service option below this, there is an exclamation mark.

I think I have now tried everything I can think of.

Default Can't run a scan

I downloaded SpyBot last night. It will not allow me to run a scan; the "start scan" button is dithered. I let the app download last night while I was sleeping. When I got on tjis morning there were at least 100 pop-ups about thread completion not having enough space.
    My pc is a Dell Intel Pentium with 4 GB and a 64 bit OS with Windows 8.1. Please help!!!!

Exclamation Having the same issues Dave

I downloaded the current SpyBot app last night and can't run a scan either. Makes me wonder if the app has been hacked!

Quote Originally Posted by daveoflondon View Post
    I've just spent quite a while deleting most of the programs from my PC. As stated, I recently reformatted the drive; in fact there weren't that many programs on it after doing this. Nonetheless, I thought I would try this to ensure nothing was conflicting with Spybot.
    Anyway, Spybot STILL won't work and STILL insists there is no internet connection (when there is).

I also tried the Scanner Service and after clicking on Start, I am told.it could not start and 'the reason given by the system (1053)'. and the service did not respond in a timely manner
    In the case of the Updating service option below this, there is an exclamation mark.

I think I have now tried everything I can think of.
    The Updating Service having an exclamation mark would likely be due to the Spybot Update Service not starting,which likely might be due to the same 1053 time-out error you are getting with the Spybot Scanner Service.Services in Windows have a certain amount of time to start,and if they don't then that time-out error is given.
    I wanted to see if it was possible Spybot was saying you had no internet connection due to that service not running.I put my own Spybot Update Service on manual,and I got a popup from Spybot saying it needed to be started,and asking if I would like it to stay running after I was done.
    So,seeing that,I disabled the Spybot Update Service to see if it affected my getting updates,and it did not,I got updates.
    I assume that is not why Spybot is saying you have no internet connection available,when you really do.
    In light of that,and also that you have disabled your firewall,and tried numerous other things,I'm going to refer you to Spybot support,as perhaps they have the means to test whether you are unable to reach the site where the antivirus updates are kept,or are blocked in some way,or something is configured wrongly within Spybot,etc.
    Sorry you have been having such a rough go of it.

Here are the support forms:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Quote Originally Posted by Creola View Post
    I downloaded SpyBot last night. It will not allow me to run a scan; the "start scan" button is dithered. I let the app download last night while I was sleeping. When I got on tjis morning there were at least 100 pop-ups about thread completion not having enough space.
    My pc is a Dell Intel Pentium with 4 GB and a 64 bit OS with Windows 8.1. Please help!!!!
    I can't find much on thread completion.Do you have the exact wording of the error(s)?And what is happening with the Start Scan button?