Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System shuts off during scan.

Default System shuts off during scan.

I have verified the system is not running to hot and is properly clean and cool.

I beat on my box very hard. Lots of video encoding, gaming, etc. I am also well versed with computers.

My problem is I recently got infected with some nasty malware. Popups like mad if I use IE, I have switched to firefox and that resolved that issue however I want to fix the problem.

Norton found various trojans and I also had purityscan and some other crap. The problem I feel I got everything cleaned off. However the popups still persist and now when I run Spybot SaD my system just shuts itself off mid scan.

I am completely lost.

Oh sorry ... The ONLY time my computer shuts itself off is when doing the spybot scan. No other time .. no matter how hard I am beating on the machine.

Hello,

Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4
    - Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    - Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

- Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:
    - Spybot causes shut down
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
    - PC crashes while Spybot is running
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I apologize completely for being rude, but did you even read my post?

Please see the first sentence of my post again.

Default also clean the CPU fans

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

I would also check the fans to make sure they too have no dust particles on it. if they do, you would have to clean them. you may want to buy a can of compressed air to blow away the dirt inside your computer. many computer stores sell compressed air cans as I used those to clean the computer keyboards, which the keys may get dirty over time.

I really appreciate everyones help ... thanks so much.

The computer is clean and not over heating. I can take some mpegs with my dvcamera of the bios as well as numerous other utilites to monitor the temp and speed of the fans.

I am really sorry for being rude, but christ, the computer fans are clean and the system is not over heating.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim_hoffa View Post
    I apologize completely for being rude, but did you even read my post?

Please see the first sentence of my post again.
    Beating the system with 'video encoding, gaming, etc.' works the disks, not the processor, in fact this allows it idle time to cool.

Either try what's been suggested or keep having the problem. Spybot can saturate a processor at 100% for minutes at a time, unlike almost any other program I've seen. If you want proof, find a processor test program or simply run 3D Pinball in Demo mode for a few minutes, it's infamous for taking out weak processor cooling systems.

Bitman

Question

Did you already try to run a scan in safe mode? Maybe you can give us some more details about your system. Which OS do you run? Which CPU do you use? Which Spybot version do you use? (1.4/1.3) When did you do your last update?
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Safe mode is actually where I ran it first which caused a power down.

Encoding stresses the processor BTW just as a FYI...do some research.

Why is everyone so reluctant to help?

Oh and 3D Pinball ... does prime95 work because it ran in stress test mode for about 8 hours last night.

And I did clean the fans and processor .. I do often actually because im a freak about it.

Spybot 1.4
    Windows XP
    Pentium 4 3.00gig
    Alienware Laptop
    I update regularly (drivers, windows updates, etc)
    Last edited by jim_hoffa; 2006-09-12 at 10:53.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jim_hoffa:

When I first started responding to threads that indicated that systems were shutting down during Spybot scans and suggested the possibility that it could be a heat related problem due to high CPU utilization, I was met by a great deal of skepticism.

After people actually started taking me seriously, cleaning their PC and reporting the results, the shoe is on the other foot. Now people who report system shut downs during Spybot scans and claim it is not heat related are met with the same skepticism I was originally.

Let's forget the system shut down for the time being and concentrate on the following:

My problem is I recently got infected with some nasty malware. Popups like mad if I use IE, I have switched to firefox and that resolved that issue however I want to fix the problem.
    And particularly

The problem I feel I got everything cleaned off. However the popups still persist …
    It certainly does not sound like you "… got everything cleaned off."

I suggest that you consider posting in the Malware Removal forum and having someone take a look at your system for causes of the popups you are getting.

The instructions for running preliminary scans (see the note below), producing logs and posting in that forum outlined in the following reference:

After completing those steps, start a new thread (topic) in the following forum making sure that you post the required logs:

If your system is still shutting down during Spybot scans after we make sure your system is clean, we can revisit the subject.

Note: If you can't complete some of the scans without system shutdown, explain that in your post.

ps: That is a pretty hefty CPU for a laptop. Prime95 generally does heat up the CPU although most of the CPU activity with Prime95 is in the floating point circuitry of the CPU.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-09-12 at 17:21. Reason: Post script added.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.