Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10: Can't upgrade, and can't uninstall

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lucyframe520 View Post
    Me too,when i update all my definitions in SpyBot, Avast, etc. and found that SpyBot wasn't in my Start Menu;
    Hello forum members. I have the same problem and would like to mention that I have found a possible reason why Spybot shows in the Apps list but will not uninstall. Having read all the posts on this I started looking for a folder anywhere on my PC ... and found one, in 'windows.old'. I haven't done anything about it yet, since I am not sure what will happen, but I can only guess that it is not possible to delete individual files from 'windows.old' using the uninstall function of windows. I understand that this directory is used to roll back the system to Windows 7 (within 30 days of install of W10), so maybe it is not treated as a normal file or is even packed and therefore not accessible as a set of individual files. Anyway, I will leave the problem to someone more knowledgeable than me and hope someone will be able to work on this angle before I do anything more. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello. I write from Spain. I have just registered myself in this forum to tell you how I have been able to fix this problem on my laptop.

- Go to this link: http://www.voidtools.com/
    - Download "Everything-1.3.4.686.x86-Setup.exe"
    - Install
    - Open the program and in the search bar write "spybot". In a few seconds will appear all files that has that term.
    - Try to delete what you can. Some files may cannot delete. I think the key is to delete the files located in "windows.old"
    - Turn off the device (not reinitialize, only turn off).
    - Wait one minute and turn on.

I have managed fix the problem with those steps. I hope this post may be serve to help to someone.

Greetings.
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-09-06 at 16:12. Reason: Disabled live link

Hello Rubén Pozo,

Quote Originally Posted by Rubén Pozo View Post
    - Try to delete what you can. Some files may cannot delete. I think the key is to delete the files located in "windows.old"
    Windows upgrade allows users 30 days to try Windows 10 or downgrade to their previous operating system. If the folder Windows.old is deleted they will not be able to downgrade.

After any upgrade it is best to use caution and keep that folder at least until one is certain it won't be needed.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-dow...s-8.1-7-guide/

http://www.crn.com/news/applications...-windows-7.htm

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello tashi. Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

Well, I hope to do not have to downgrade to Windows 7. I would like to stay with Windows 10. Now I have deleted those files therefore I have not option ha ha

Greetings from Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Digitaldwarf View Post
    Hello forum members. I have the same problem and would like to mention that I have found a possible reason why Spybot shows in the Apps list but will not uninstall. Having read all the posts on this I started looking for a folder anywhere on my PC ... and found one,casesam in 'windows.old'. I haven't done anything about it yet, since I am not sure what will happen, but I can only guess that it is not possible to delete individual files from 'windows.old' using the uninstall function of windows. I understand that this directory is used to roll back the system to Windows 7 (within 30 days of install of W10), Samsung Galaxy S6 edge cover so maybe it is not treated as a normal file or is even packed and therefore not accessible as a set of individual files. Anyway, I will leave the problem to someone more knowledgeable than me and hope someone will be able to work on this angle before I do anything more. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Sorry,i just noticed this message...

Default good solution

Quote Originally Posted by davebee View Post
    Hi Chaps i'm new so maybe some mistakes but I found a work round which solved this problem for me and installed the latest version.
    I have a small program "Search Everything" on my desktop which lists every file on my PC, it is very useful and helped me solve this problem.
    "Error 183 cannot create a file, a file already exists." Getting rid of the existing file is the problem but by opening "Search Everything" and typing Spybot in the search bar at the top it comes up with every relevant Spybot file.
    Right click each file and delete it working through the list then restart your PC.
    When you are ready download Spybot 2.4 which should now be possible.
    When it has installed and updated and the permissions, it should then offer the latest update for windows 10 - Download and install.
    It worked for me !
    This worked perfectly. I had all the symptoms described elsewhere in this thread and this was the only solution that worked (Win 10, 64 bit)

Default Spybot missing after windows10

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasG View Post
    Hello. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. Here are the problems and how I got it installed. Spybot was installed prior to upgrading (on 8.1)

• Spybot is not appearing within Apps on Start menu
    • If I try to upgrade to the latest Spybot version, it tells me the Spybot path doesn't exist if I select "Uninstall Old Version"
    • Spybot does appear within Apps listing in Settings, but it won't let me uninstall it

So it's strange. Spybot exists, but it doesn't.

If I unselect "Uninstall Old Version" during the install of 2.4, the installer runs, but I get an error at the end saying, "Unable to execute SDWSCSvc.exe"

If I click through the error, it looks like it completes the install

So just wanted to pass along this issue and the workaround.
    I like the old version 1.62 and Spybot advises both old and new versions work in Windows 10. The old version I can schedule auto running, but have not found this feature in 2.4.

When you install windows10 a folder called "Windows.old" is found in your primary c drive. This is where Spybot is found or hidden. To start how I found it, I installed the workaround for the lost start menu called "Start10". This showed the lost Spybot where it was in the old Windows7 menu. A right click on the file and select "open folder location" and it takes you to a "Windows.old" folder found in the C Drive.
    I was trying to install it but it was on the machine, but not visible. Installs failed to complete. A Google search for windows.old advises that after 30 days of initial using Windows10, they delete this folder. At that time I guess Spybot will be gone and a new install will be required. It doesn't show in the "programs and features folder" in the control panel, so it can't be deleted. After the "Windows.old" folder is gone i have no idea what will happen. My other machines that are older then 30 days had Spybot installed without any problems when I noticed it was missing. A search indicated that windows 10 makes Spybot disappear, but its still on the machines not allowing a new version to be installed in the new windows10 Program Files (x86) folder.