Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    I usually copy the pure .exe over as well, just didn't link it anywhere. I've updated the first post here. Will think about adding it to the downloads portal as well.

What's new is listed on the downloads page, but will add above.

Edit #2: the download portal now has all stand-alone releases as well, and the link here points to there, so it'll always be up to date!
    But the "Portable" downloads of Spybot Anti-beacon is missing version 1.5:
    https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=56
    (V1.5 is not even mentioned there - latest portable version is still v1.4 )

can someone post a 1.5 version of Spybot anti-beacon portable there?
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2015-11-18 at 20:03.

Default Takinig 25% of the CPU

Quote Originally Posted by ldmtulsa View Post
    I have installed ver 1.5 on 3 different pc's and the app is using 25 - 30% of the cpu cycles. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Yes -- I just installed the latest (whatever the "latest" is as of November 19) version on a fully patched 64-bit Windows 7 system and it's chewing up 25% of the CPU. I am also running Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defenderr, Zone Alarm, and MalwareBytes, which may be causing a conflict somewhere.....

Default Anti Beacon and windows mail app

Hey first big thanks for making this!
    I have a problem with Windows Mail app and Anti-Beacon, I know its you have on the FAQ and on the optional tab to not block the OneDrive service.
    I tought I could live without it but I got used to it and I still want to use it, but I can not undo it it always stays 1 of 2 blocked.

On the logs I got this:
    [i] OneDrive Service: Unable to start service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: O servi?o especificado n?o existe como servi?o instalado.
    witch translates to specified service does not exist.
    What can I do to fix this?
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-11-25 at 20:04. Reason: Merged topic

What exactly is chewing up the 25%? Anti-Beacon when you open it's window? Can you show details from Task Manager or another process explorer?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Spybot anti-beacon v1.5 problem

Code:
    ---------------------------
    Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable (PortableApps.com Launcher)
    Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable cannot be started. You may wish to re-install to fix this issue. (ERROR: App\SpybotAntiBeacon\SDCutTheLine.exe could not be found)
    OK   
    This appears after updating to the latest portable version of Spybot Anti-Beacon under Windows 10 x64. Also you have no forum section for this product of yours...
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-11-25 at 20:04. Reason: Merged topic

Default Spybot Anti Beacon

I tried using the Spybot Anti Beacon. I figured it was a one time thing. I noticed that on boot up it, it loads, and consumes 7.8 - 8% of the consumed CPU cycles. I also found that I could not shut it down via a process explorer. Denied.

1) Why is it running?
    2) Why does it need so much CPU?
    3) Why can't I shut it down?
    4) How do I get rid of it?
    Last edited by tashi; 2015-11-25 at 20:05. Reason: Merged topic

Default CPU high usage

I installed this program while ago on Win 8.1 after I discovered it. It worked great to prevent telemetry to MS. last week I upgraded to Win 10 build 10586.11, it still worked great over the last week. This morning wupdate installed build 10586.14. And now Spybot Antibecon, about 4 min. after reboot with the new update starts using 15 to 20 percent CPU time. I am currently running Avira free and just before Aintibeacon started its high CPU use Avira bannered an event that said that "a program was trying to change the Hosts file" and that it had prevented it. These two programs played nice in Win 8 and Win 10 before the latest update. When I turned off hosts monitoring in Avira every thing worked fine again. I did this in hopes that Windows would make the changes it wanted to in the hosts file and then I would turn the Avira protection back on and it would accept the new changes. No such luck, shortly after I turned hosts file protection back on, Antibeacon went to the top of the list in CPU use to the same level. Any Ideas or patches. I would like to keep the Avira protection on the hosts file to prevent ad redirection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Steel View Post
    Code:
    Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable (PortableApps.com Launcher)
    Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable cannot be started. You may wish to re-install to fix this issue. (ERROR: App\SpybotAntiBeacon\SDCutTheLine.exe could not be found)
    OK   
    This appears after updating to the latest portable version of Spybot Anti-Beacon under Windows 10 x64. Also you have no forum section for this product of yours...
    Figured it out, for some reason the Portable package features a copy of the EXE file with the wrong name, causing SpybotAntiBeaconPortable-safer-networking.org.exe to be unable to locate it. I simply renamed the relevant EXE file located at "Spybot Anti-Beacon\App\SpybotAntiBeacon" to SDCutTheLine.exe and now it's working. It was incorrectly renamed to SDAntiBeacon or some such, or alternatively someone forgot to update the Launcher EXE to recognize the name change
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 2015-11-27 at 05:48.

Quote Originally Posted by mgiesbre View Post
    I tried using the Spybot Anti Beacon. I figured it was a one time thing. I noticed that on boot up it, it loads, and consumes 7.8 - 8% of the consumed CPU cycles. I also found that I could not shut it down via a process explorer. Denied.

1) Why is it running?
    2) Why does it need so much CPU?
    3) Why can't I shut it down?
    4) How do I get rid of it?
    AS PC Tech noticed (in the post below yours) it's possible an anti-virus product is interferring with the Anti-Beacon program causing them to infinitely fight each other which could result in the 7% or so CPU usage. Of course you'd think Spybot AntiBeacon would be coded to stop after N failures at applying changes.

I would just like to offer this comment to thank you and your team for this incredibly useful program.

It is sad to find these days that even an operating is actually just a giant piece of malware in itself.