Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Default max protection 14% (7of49) on win 8.1

I am using Win 8.1 64bit and running as admin I am unable to immunize telemetry hosts. When I click on the optional tab and try to apply Telemetry Hosts (extensive lists) I am unable to get it to actually apply. Here is the info from the log tab:

Code:
    [-] Telemetry Hosts: Unable to access hosts file, attempt 1: Unable to create file "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.".
    [.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsImmunization)
    [-] Telemetry Hosts: Unable to access hosts file, attempt 1: Unable to create file "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.".
    [i] Telemetry Hosts: 65 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    [i] Telemetry Hosts: 65 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    [i] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): 65 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    [.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsOptionalImmunization)
    [-] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): Unable to access hosts file, attempt 1: Unable to create file "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.".
    [-] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): Unable to access hosts file, attempt 1: Unable to create file "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.".
    [i] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): 65 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    I have been unable to get past 14% protection, I have tried reinstalling to no avail. Is there anything I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by mnadamn View Post
    I am using Win 8.1 64bit and running as admin I am unable to immunize telemetry hosts. When I click on the optional tab and try to apply Telemetry Hosts (extensive lists) I am unable to get it to actually apply. Here is the info from the log tab:

I have been unable to get past 14% protection, I have tried reinstalling to no avail. Is there anything I can do?
    I use Webroot Secure Anywhere for AV and it has an option to "Secure the hosts file". This prevents anyone or anything from modifying it. Many other "security" programs do the same thing. If that's the case for you you'll need to find that setting and "temporarily" turn it off.

Below is how to manually edit the hosts file to add the telemetry blocks from Spybot but, It won't work either if you have "Secure the hosts file" turned on somewhere.

PS I've found that these blocks in the hosts file are causing windows update to fail with an error code of (0x800704cf). (W10x64 V1703)

I'm not sure which line it is yet. That's why I'm here in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open windows explorer and navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc"

Find the file "hosts" (it has no extension) and "move" it to your desktop, clicking yes to all the "are you sure you want to do this prompts"

right click on hosts and select "open with" choose notepad (if you don't have notepad++)

Edit it so it looks like this. (the top 3 lines should already be there, I put it in for reference)

Code:
    # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    #	127.0.0.1       localhost
    #	::1             localhost
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
    0.0.0.0	choice.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net
    0.0.0.0	df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	settings-win.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	telemetry.appex.bing.net
    0.0.0.0	telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	vortex.data.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	watson.live.com
    0.0.0.0	watson.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	feedback.search.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	feedback.windows.com
    0.0.0.0	corp.sts.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
    0.0.0.0	ca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	cache.datamart.windows.com
    0.0.0.0	diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	spynet2.microsoft.com
    0.0.0.0	spynetalt.microsoft.com
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
    Close and save the file. Doing so will automatically add the extension .txt to it.

R click the "hosts.txt" file and select "rename"

Remove the extension .txt so it is just "hosts" again, click ok to the prompts.

Now "move" the file back into the "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" clicking ok to the prompts.

Restart the PC.

Default Actions of spybot antibeacon for windows seem to be partially reversed immediately.

Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered, I did search for it first, but didn't turn up anything seemingly relevant.

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64 and downloaded and ran antibeacon 1.6, disabling all telemetry options. However, re-running the software shows some of the options have become "undone".

*EDIT*

It seems I'm not the only one with this problem, I read the first 15 or so pages, but failed to read the rest, working back from my post, I now see there are others with similar issues. Ooops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MadMage999; 2017-08-31 at 17:26. Reason: Grammar and punctuation

Default Firewall must be checked

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer23 View Post
    That doesnt work either, I even copied the file then made the changes and tried to replace the old unchanged file but then tells me I dont have the permissions to do so even though my account is the only admin account on the computer.
    Firewalls like Zone Alarm have a setting for "OS Firewall" under the settings menu. Open it and check to see if the Host Files are locked. If so untick the lock option and guess what? Now Anti-Beacon will block telemetry hosts. Problem solved

Is anyone else's Windows Update / Driver search super slow after enabling Anti Beacon?

- Without Anti-Beacon: Takes at most 30 seconds to check for updates in Windows Update.
    - With Anti-Beacon: Easily takes 2 minutes, sometimes even more to check for updates.

I noticed this started happening a couple of Windows patches back.

Default Same issue - my resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Robtl View Post
    Hello All,
    After "immunizing" when I reboot I am told I am 96% protected; the 3% is part of the CEIP Program:
    Attachment 12825
    Thoughts? Thanks!
    From the Protection tab screen depicted Click, "Show options". Note the five scheduled tasks listed for CEIP. Open "Task Scheduler" on your pc or device. Browse to each of the 5 scheduled tasks listed to confirm each task. In my case the last 3 tasks were disabled, but I was missing the 1st 2 tasks. I believe the 1st scheduled task was added by a windows update that I blocked. My conclusion was to not worry about the 2 tasks that are missing in "Task Scheduler". The Spybot Anti-Beacon user interface is confusing to state "full protection in place" after clicking Immunize and then listing 96% again when the program is re-opened and run. So the program is not recognizing ( or not displaying to the user) when tasks are missing. Not sure if this was your issue or not, but hope this helps.

Default Spybot Antii-beacon promptly defeated

I have windows 10
    with latest 1.6 anti-beacon.

Run anti-beacon

at [protection], I see one category not applied
    • Telemetry Services

I immunize all, Telemetry Services appear to be dealt with.

I go to [optional] and see these protections un-applied
    • the second half of One-drive-service
    • and Office 15 (2013) Telemetry Scheduled tasks
    • and Office 16 (2013) Telemetry Scheduled tasks

I apply them

All appear to be protected. (Actually, I don't use these)

I exit.
    (This updates the Hosts, even though no actual change is made. Only marginally annoying.)

Now I check again. I call anti-beacon 1.6

Groundhog day.

Nothing has changed. Changes appear not to have worked, as if the display in the previous run was lying to me. I hate that:

Telemetry Service unprotected, One-drive On-half protected, orofice 15 unprotected, office 16 ditto

This does not look particularly useful.

What to do?

The logs have no date-time, but appear to be new at each session

here is the log (apologies):

[-] snlServiceRunning.OpenServiceW (error code 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    )
    [-] snlServiceConfig.OpenServiceW (error code 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    )
    [i] Telemetry Services: Unable to read status for service "DiagTrack" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    [.] (TWindows10TelemetryServicesImmunization)
    [-] snlServiceRunning.OpenServiceW (error code 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    )
    [-] snlServiceConfig.OpenServiceW (error code 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    )
    [i] Telemetry Services: Unable to read status for service "dmwappushservice" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    )
    )
    [i] Telemetry Services: Unable to read status for service "DiagTrack" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    )
    )
    [i] Telemetry Services: Unable to read status for service "dmwappushservice" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    [i] Telemetry Hosts: 590 entries found in hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    )
    )
    ).
    )
    )
    ).
    [i] Telemetry Hosts: 590 entries found in hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    [i] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): 590 entries found in hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
    )
    )
    [i] OneDrive Service: Unable to read status for service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    [.] (TWindows10OneDriveServicesImmunization)
    )
    )
    [i] OneDrive Service: Unable to read status for service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    ).
    )
    )
    ).

Default OneDrive Service & Group Policy

It appears turning either or both of these on doesn't allow syncing of your OneDrive documents.

It seems obvious but I wasn't sure so I applied both of these optional settings.

So I turned them all off and restarted to get my OneDrive up and running.

So my questions is does one or both of these break OneDrive syncing? Area there other options that could break OneDrive syncing?

Quote Originally Posted by Methuzla View Post
    I have windows 10
    with latest 1.6 anti-beacon.

Run anti-beacon

at [protection], I see one category not applied
    • Telemetry Services

I immunize all, Telemetry Services appear to be dealt with.

I go to [optional] and see these protections un-applied
    • the second half of One-drive-service
    • and Office 15 (2013) Telemetry Scheduled tasks
    • and Office 16 (2013) Telemetry Scheduled tasks

I apply them

All appear to be protected. (Actually, I don't use these)

I exit.
    (This updates the Hosts, even though no actual change is made. Only marginally annoying.)

Now I check again. I call anti-beacon 1.6

Groundhog day.

Nothing has changed. Changes appear not to have worked, as if the display in the previous run was lying to me. I hate that:

Telemetry Service unprotected, One-drive On-half protected, orofice 15 unprotected, office 16 ditto

This does not look particularly useful.

What to do?

HI !! Guy's,

Sorry my first post is a bitch session, but I have run out of idea's on this issue
    I have the same issue above on both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise. Adding the protection as Admin doesn't work either. I have NO A/V or Office app installed on the Enterprise machine yet, as it's still in test phase. Is there a setting I have missed somewhere? The Office protection cannot be applied at all, and the one drive option turns 2 of 2 on, then after closing and reopening beacon, it shows only 1 of 2 protections on.

I DONT EVEN HAVE ONE DRIVE INSTALLED ANYMORE !!! why can't it see that ?? I removed the app, and the actual program from the PC, yet it still see's something and says it can protect it........but fails everytime.

Anyone have any idea's where to start ?? I have tried just about all I can find online to fix it and everything I can think of myself....nothing has worked yet to fix it.

note: I am aware removing the One drive program would leave a lot of tie-ins on the PC, registry, symlinks and so on, but I have no idea what keys I can and can't delete to fully remove that side of things.
    Last edited by Azoic; 2018-04-05 at 04:31.

I saw this article about Spybot Anti-Beacon beta testing (written Feb. 22, 2018):
    https://www.safer-networking.org/201...test-complete/

so where or when will a new version of Spybot Anti-Beacon be available?