Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer23 View Post
    To add onto that, I have tried using hostsman and it is also unable to save over the file as well. SO I think they made an update to the file so that its harder for users to edit the file.
    The hosts file can get fairly large if populated with many entries and I've found that this can cause slow internet response times and also issues with "slowness" for programs that may access hosts... Also some antivirus / firewall programs lock down the hosts file (spybot can do this as well). Perhaps google to see if your antivirus is one of those that lock hosts file. Just for kicks check to see if you have spybot locking it. Also, in the past I have run into issues with spybot taking long periods to do some file operations on certain PC's with certain operating systems= walk away from it and give it a few hours on its own if you have to leave it over-night to see if it will complete the operation you are attempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsails View Post
    The hosts file can get fairly large if populated with many entries and I've found that this can cause slow internet response times and also issues with "slowness" for programs that may access hosts... Also some antivirus / firewall programs lock down the hosts file (spybot can do this as well). Perhaps google to see if your antivirus is one of those that lock hosts file. Just for kicks check to see if you have spybot locking it. Also, in the past I have run into issues with spybot taking long periods to do some file operations on certain PC's with certain operating systems= walk away from it and give it a few hours on its own if you have to leave it over-night to see if it will complete the operation you are attempting.
    To avoid problems on internet while using large HOSTS file (bigger than 100 KB) there's a known workaround that is to set the Windows DNS client service ("Dnscache") on manual/disabled.

J_C_2016

Default Change in background usage? Office 16 (2016) Telemetry Scheduled Tasks

Hello Spybot team and members,

I'm new to using this program so, for that excuse my ignorance.

None the less, I have a few questions if you could be so kind to answer.

When I initially installed the Spybot Anit-Beacon 1.5 program onto my laptop, I did notice heavy CPU usage from 25%-40% at times. I did see in my Task Manager that Spybot was the cause. This CPU usage depleted my battery quite quickly.
    Now, I did read other comments and posts done by members regarding this issue and to clarify I am running Webroot Anti-virus which I've heard is the contributor to the CPU usage because the two programs don't mesh well together (correct me if I'm wrong with that statement).I did notice when I was observing the Task Manager that Spybot was a running program in the background to be on-going protection. Now, in saying all this, I've recently noticed while having the Task Manager open Spybot is no longer a running in the background column? Has something changed? Did I do something incorrectly? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.
    When I run the program, it's stating that I have a 100% protection.

Second, I have also noticed that under the optional tab for protection the Office 16(2016) Telemetry Scheduled Tasks will not activate when I press apply.
    I do disable my Webroot Anti-virus when making changes to Spybot since I won't enable otherwise.
    Thoughts?

Thank you, Spybot team and members for the time and effort!

I'm looking forward to your response.

Unhappy Undo Telemetry Hosts

I have trouble getting achievements unlocked on Windows 10 and I have seen it might be because of telemetry blocks, so I try and undo that but then Spybot Anti-Beacon just stop responding. I have also tried and uninstall and then re-install but then it just starts blocking everything immediately.

Default Stop Blocking Windows Media PLayer

HI,
    as the title - anti-beacon has set the host add for redir.metaservices to 0.0.0 so i can't get album info, how do i turn it back on?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie138 View Post
    HI,
    as the title - anti-beacon has set the host add for redir.metaservices to 0.0.0 so i can't get album info, how do i turn it back on?

TIA
    Find your HOSTS file
    usually in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc
    Make sure that it's not set as read only.
    Edit the file and remove the line that contains the host that you don't want to be blocked.
    Wait some minutes or reboot the system, so the changes get applied.

BTW, Spybot people: I'm getting pretty pissed about sites like this that logout the user after a couple of minutes. Not funny at all.

Default Anti-Beacon & Windows 7 Experience & concerns

I have installed [Oct 2016] Anti-Beacon on 8 Windows 7 PC's and have seen no problems. I understand that Windows telemetry is more limited on Win7 as is the required blocking...this simpler approach probably reduces problems. Also I don't Skype or use Windows Media Player.
    My main concern is that Anti-Beacon hasn't been updated since it was introduced over a year ago. Meanwhile Microsoft continues to release updates that may affect or increase their privacy intrusion...even on Windows 7.
    I would like some assurance that the Spybot team is reviewing the telemetry status and updating anti-beacon's blocking...or at least confirming that it's all good...no worries.
    There are other products out there with greater focus that are more current...I would prefer to stick with anti-beacon but a year is a long time to go without an update in the spyware biz...and yes I consider Microsoft's telemetry spyware.
    Thanks for considering.

Quote Originally Posted by santino View Post
    Find your HOSTS file
    Edit the file and remove the line that contains the host that you don't want to be blocked.

BTW, Spybot people: I'm getting pretty pissed about sites like this that logout the user after a couple of minutes. Not funny at all.
    worked like a charm. much obliged, bud :-)

Quote Originally Posted by santino View Post
    Find your HOSTS file

spoke too soon - it worked, but now it's created ANOTHER new hosts file w/ my commented-out entry, but a new entry for redir.meta at the bottom - how do i stop it doing that?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie138 View Post
    spoke too soon - it worked, but now it's created ANOTHER new hosts file w/ my commented-out entry, but a new entry for redir.meta at the bottom - how do i stop it doing that?
    TIA
    If you reapply the changes with Anti-Beacon that's probably the cause for that line reappearing on the HOSTS file.
    You can undo the change manually every time you use this software or try with HostsMan and check the "exclusion list" option.
    Cheers