Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Stormforge View Post
    I also have the same problem that Dude_Virus and agresywny reported...both Telemetry Hosts (under protection tab) and Telemetry Hosts - extensive list (under optional tab) do not keep the protection after you hit the "immunize" and "block" function respectively. I'm currently running Windows 10 with 2016 Kaspersky Total Security for anti-virus and iolo's System Mechanic ver. 15.5.0.61 for PC repair (defrag, remove system clutter, etc) if this helps at all. I have installed the latest version of Spybot Anti-Beacon ver. 1.5.0.35. Thx

Update:
    I uninstalled System Mechanic, as it seems to interfere with Kaspersky anti-virus update (Kaspersky is always asking me to reboot the computer). With SM removed, Kaspersky works fine and so does Spybot. I'm fully immunized and (touch wood) it seems to stay that way. I'll report back in a couple of weeks to confirm immunization and report any issues.

Question Does this run in the background or do I have to open it when needed please?

I have just downloaded and installed this (the installer version) after it was recommended on the Windows 7 Forum. Reading the home page it seems to infer it works with Windows 7 which is what I have (Home Premium).

I downloaded it from here:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

I have installed it and immunised but am now confused as I don't see it in my list of Start Ups in CCleaner nor is it in the Task Manager once I have restarted my pc or used the program's Close button.

Am I being dumb ... is it perhaps a program I have to open myself whenever I want to check the immunization or am I going wrong somewhere as I assumed it would be always running in the background

Any help or advice gratefully received please.

Default 'SpybotAntiBeacon-1.5-setup.exe' CRC on download page is wrong? (MD5 and SHA1 right)

I just downloaded 'SpybotAntiBeacon-1.5-setup.exe' from here.

Used HashTab v5.2.0, HashMyFiles v2.18 (and our own internally coded tool) to verify the CRC32. They all list the CRC32 as: E18175D5 , however the above page lists it as: 5D17181E

The MD5 hash of 63C2CF7B61D29D7664BFA55D33EDA510 and the SHA-1 hash of 2F35861CF3D2A69669B89214502D1FC769EE10E2 do match though.

Yes, I know CRC32 is ancient, and even MD5 and SHA1 are old and unsuitable for modern-day hashing

How about a GnuPG signature too?

Default Spybot Beacon breaks Sype

Hi All,

I've noticed that the HOSTS lines from Spybot are breaking Skype functionality - particularly multi-user calls.

Here's a thread on the MS discussion forum covering the effect on the hosts file:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windo...e/td-p/4124233

One or more of these items appears to be causing the issue:
    0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
    0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com

Commenting these lines out and restarting skype seems to fix the issue.

Can the Beacon support team identify which lines need to be reviewed and removed / modified to keep Skype working? Not sure if this is the right place to raise it or not.

Default Anti-Beacon now failing to block Cortana

I have been using anti beacon happily since caving to M$'s pressure to upgrade to Windows 10. While it had been working well up to this point, today I noticed Cortana running in task manager, despite it being shown as 'all blocked' in the SA-B. SearchUI.exe shows being updated on 4/1/16, perhaps a recent update has managed to bypass the block?

Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
    cortana.jpg

A must have feature in Spybot Anti-Beacon is "Limit Reservable Bandwidth to 0%"

To stop W10 from reserving your bandwidth for itself for whatever purposes whenever it wants to, run gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler > Limit Reservable Bandwidth. Enable it and set to 0%. The default is not configured in other words set to 80%. Older windows has it set to 20% by default. Why would MS set it to 80% by default in W10? Everyone missed this i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEFnC0ku5M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZeMKbb6hXA
    After applying Spybot Anti-Beacon, MS is still hooking up to various servers, make sure you install Peerblock and add MS to block list. Watch above videos.
    Last edited by dark9; 2016-04-29 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by maelstrm View Post
    Hi All,

I've noticed that the HOSTS lines from Spybot are breaking Skype functionality - particularly multi-user calls.

Here's a thread on the MS discussion forum covering the effect on the hosts file:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windo...e/td-p/4124233

One or more of these items appears to be causing the issue:
    0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
    0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
    0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com

Commenting these lines out and restarting skype seems to fix the issue.

Can the Beacon support team identify which lines need to be reviewed and removed / modified to keep Skype working? Not sure if this is the right place to raise it or not.

Further to this, the Hosts blocks appear to be breaking other Win10 functionality.
    * Network Adapter shows "No Internet Connection"
    * Win10 Store app has been having issues
    * Account Settings components are broken - "Sync Your Settings" and "Family & other users"

I tried a number of different things to try and fix these (different DNS servers, upgrading NIC drivers, changing from DHCP to static IPs, etc). None of them worked, but removing the Spybot Anti-Beacon lines from HOSTS completely fixed all of them.

I'd like to request that the maintenance/dev team (if there is one) review the HOSTS lines and test for unwanted side effects, and fix them. It's a bit worrying how many users appear to have broken Skype clients for example (if you search on the error terms from my previous post).

Quote Originally Posted by maelstrm View Post
    Further to this, the Hosts blocks appear to be breaking other Win10 functionality.
    * Network Adapter shows "No Internet Connection"
    * Win10 Store app has been having issues
    * Account Settings components are broken - "Sync Your Settings" and "Family & other users"
    If you want lots of Win10 net functionality, app store, synch, etc. This program might not be for you? As those things are intertwined with "telemetry". At the least, you should probably not use either of the "Telemetry Hosts" settings.

Question Hello support??????? I want my operating system back!

I want to uninstall this and have my Windows 10 store back. The UNDO feature does not work, it just half undoes things or not at all and I can not use the store. So after uninstalling, what do I edit exactly in the registry to get win 10 store back?