Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Default HELP: Upgraded Spybot 3 Beacon, paid for it 5-31-20, not recd link download link.

Hi,

Hope the is the correct form to post this question:

HELP: Upgraded Spybot 3 Beacon, paid for it 5-31-20, not recd link download link.

Who do I contact?

Please notify me by email with any solutions.

Regards,

klxdrt
    Last edited by klxdrt; 2020-06-01 at 19:43. Reason: spelling

There is a contact form available here:

https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

Default anti-beacon keeps replacing my custom host file

Anti-beacon keeps replacing my custom host file how do I stop it from doing that I already deactivated settings that said via host file. Help?

Default Windows AV false positive?

Is anyone else getting a false positive from the built-in Windows 10 anti-virus that Anti-Beacon is infected with SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack? Obviously because it writes to the hosts file I can see why it might think it's a virus but I've checked the file and there's nothing nefarious being added to it.

I've been getting this for a while now and keep having to tell Windows to ignore it. I've used other virus scanners to check Anti-Beacon and it always comes up clean so I'm sure it's a false positive, but it would be nice to know if there's some way to permanently fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega32x View Post
    Is anyone else getting a false positive from the built-in Windows 10 anti-virus that Anti-Beacon is infected with SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack? Obviously because it writes to the hosts file I can see why it might think it's a virus but I've checked the file and there's nothing nefarious being added to it.

I've been getting this for a while now and keep having to tell Windows to ignore it. I've used other virus scanners to check Anti-Beacon and it always comes up clean so I'm sure it's a false positive, but it would be nice to know if there's some way to permanently fix it.
    I learned about this last month whilst showing Spybot to my cousin who also has Defender on. I wanted so badly to tell him to turn Windows Defender off, but money is tight for him and Defender is the only free thing that will warn you of an infection before having to scan for one (if someone knows of one that I am not aware of please tell me I would love to know).
    With that said, I am not at all surprised that Defender is having a negative reaction to a sudden injection of code written specifically to block Windows spying tools from collecting data, which counts for at least somewhat of a significant portion of their profits. So until Defender is out of your life, I don't think it's going to stop trying its best to prevent the rewrite of the hosts file.

Angry how disistall anti beacon

I to all,
    I have been using spybot free for a long time, but updating to the last version of search and destroy I unfortunately also installed antibeacon.
    I would like to change some settings in beacon, but I can't find the application anywhere, it starts only at start up and closes after a few seconds. I tried to uninstall all spybot search and destroy and the antibeacon remained !!! How do I get it out of the way???

Default Firebase Crashlytics

One of the third-party analytics listed in Spybot Anti-Beacon is "Firebase Crashlytics". It has 3 "contact points" listed.

I set it to block all three, but it only blocks two, showing "2/3 blocked".

I have no idea where this product came from or where it is located.

Anybody know how I can get it to block 3/3?

Default False Positive: Windows 10 Defender and Hosts file

I started getting this a while ago when Windows 10 Defender got updated.

As a result, it "undos" changes made by Spybot and Anti-Beacon to my Hosts file.

My solution was to tell Defender to simply exclude the Hosts file from its scan. Problem fixed.

1. Go to: Windows Security -> Virus & threat protection
    2. Click on: Manage settings found under Virus & threat protection settings
    3. Click on: Add or Remove exclusions found under Exclusions
    4. Click on: Add an Exclusion
    5. Enter the full path to your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)