Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

nslookup msdl.microsoft.com
    Server: cdns01.comcast.net
    Address: 2001:558:feed::1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: msdl.microsoft.akadns.net
    Address: 65.55.10.11
    Aliases: msdl.microsoft.com

Note they are using akadns, so the geolocation of you to the server could matter on the returned IP when you resolve it.
    It must be in your range of IP's you block, because Symbol downloading does not work when immunized, also if it is not this IP specifically then it's some other IP the Windows Debugger software connects to.
    It's hard to say exactly for sure If this IP specifically isn't in your block list though, as when you download symbols I believe msdl.microsoft.com can refer you to other servers via it's HTTP responses.

If this IP is not in your range let me know, and I will give you the exact details by snooping on WinDbg.exe's network traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by maffle View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/ZZFwu4P.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/IkCBmdn.jpg

Clicking the OneDrive Undo button does not do anything, it always says 1/2.

The log is full of these:
    "hxmail.windowsbackgroundtask" "hxmailunistorenotificationtask"

Opening the mail app works fine though it syncs and I can send mail (via gmail).
    Bump.

Default Anti Beacon + Plex Media Server

Hello fellows,

Is it possible to anti beacon blocking plex media server to transmit movies to my TV, in my home network?

Thanks

Default Undo buttons don't work

Anti-Beacon 1.5 - Undo buttons for Optional - Office 15 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks and Office 16 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks don't do anything when clicked.

How do I reset?

Default Anti-Beacon startup and high CPU usage

Hi,

love the idea of the program, as microsofts attempt to collect user data on my private machine is one hell of a level up from googles tracking tools on every webpage, at least the inet is public space, well done on this part.

However i have some issues with the current implementation(I´m using ver. 1.5, running windows 10). Few minutes after startup the SDAntiBeacon.exe starts. As i am using avira anti-virus the access to the hosts files is blocked, this seems to mess up the logic of the program and it continues running consuming about 25% of the cpu. I disabled the host file blocking on first run to allow anti-beacon to manipulate the hosts file. I´m not comfortable to allow this on default. This should be just a minor bug, as mentioned in other posts. This would also explain the battery drain as this disables the stepping down features of cpus.

Now the real problem. As i understand the concept of the program, some static changes to process management and hosts file are made. I would start the program from time to time to look for updates and apply future changes to the system, temporary disabling the hosts blocker. But there is no need to have the program running the hole time or on every startup. The concerning fact is i´m not able to find out how the SDAntiBeacon.exe gets started in the first place. There is no entry in the startup programs list, so i assumed there must be a anti-beacon service starting the exe. Was not able to find a service with a anti-beacon label. This kind of shady behavior should be a no go for a security program.

I have an IT background, so i understand the need of binding a customer to program usage and avoiding making a one use, fire and forget tool. But transparency is the key to user acceptance, as it stands i couldn´t recommend this program without a second thought. Hope this behavior is just an oversight or some windows 10 issue and will be resolved in the future, because everybody should make this sneaky data collection attempts as difficult as possible. Hope this helps and keep up the good work.

Default Optional - Telemetry Hosts (extensive list) - Network connectivity (NCSI)

Hi all,

On some Windows systems, an unexpected side-effect of applying the Optional 'Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)' protection may be the network connection tray icon showing up the yellow triangle and the related "No internet access" warning message, although you have network connectivity.

On affected systems, the reason for that happening is because Spybot Anti-Beacon is blocking traffic to Microsoft's online resources used as the operating system standard test to verify network connectivity (which consists of reading the 'ncsi.txt' text file, confirming its contents are the "Microsoft NCSI" string and confirming that the DNS name resolution for 'dns.msftncsi.com' returns the IP address 131.107.255.255).

Everything goes back to normal once you remove or comment out these two entries:

#0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
    #0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com

(out of curiosity, iOS devices perform a similar check to https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html)

Please note that the only reason I'm posting this (hoping that may help others facing the same issue) is because I'm unaware of those particular online resources being used by Microsoft to any other purpose than simply performing the above described "network connectivity check" test. Unlike the other available protections (such as the main Telemetry Hosts feature and the other optional entries) this doesn't really seem to fit as a privacy annoyance (collecting user data).

Source:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...8WS.10%29.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Speccy86 View Post
    Hi all,

On some Windows systems, an unexpected side-effect of applying the Optional 'Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)' protection may be the network connection tray icon showing up the yellow triangle and the related "No internet access" warning message, although you have network connectivity.

On affected systems, the reason for that happening is because Spybot Anti-Beacon is blocking traffic to Microsoft's online resources used as the operating system standard test to verify network connectivity (which consists of reading the 'ncsi.txt' text file, confirming its contents are the "Microsoft NCSI" string and confirming that the DNS name resolution for 'dns.msftncsi.com' returns the IP address 131.107.255.255).

Everything goes back to normal once you remove or comment out these two entries:

#0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
    #0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com

(out of curiosity, iOS devices perform a similar check to https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html)

Please note that the only reason I'm posting this (hoping that may help others facing the same issue) is because I'm unaware of those particular online resources being used by Microsoft to any other purpose than simply performing the above described "network connectivity check" test. Unlike the other available protections (such as the main Telemetry Hosts feature and the other optional entries) this doesn't really seem to fit as a privacy annoyance (collecting user data).

Source:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...8WS.10%29.aspx
    I installed this program last night and today as above, no internet access symbol although my modem was locked on and showing an IP address. I also couldn't get webpages to load or mail programs to work. What bothers me is that I've been unable to switch off the "optional" blocks, two of them will not undo. In despair I've uninstalled the program hoping it will have taken off the blocks. So far everything seems to be working again. I really dislike programs that you cannot undo what they do. Why are your optional blocks not actually optional once applied?

Default OneDrive Service

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCrazy View Post
    Hey first big thanks for making this!
    I have a problem with Windows Mail app and Anti-Beacon, I know its you have on the FAQ and on the optional tab to not block the OneDrive service.
    I tought I could live without it but I got used to it and I still want to use it, but I can not undo it it always stays 1 of 2 blocked.

On the logs I got this:
    [i] OneDrive Service: Unable to start service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: O servi?o especificado n?o existe como servi?o instalado.
    witch translates to specified service does not exist.
    What can I do to fix this?

Hello I just got the 1.5 version and applied this option without reading... :( .. Problem is Undo is not working , .. Please any suggestions ??

Thanks.

Default T elementary Hosts

T elementary Hosts won't stay blocked. Once you close and reopen antibeacon, the become unblocked and have to be re-immunized. Anyone else noticing this?

Default Launcher ini fault

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Steel View Post
    Figured it out, for some reason the Portable package features a copy of the EXE file with the wrong name, causing SpybotAntiBeaconPortable-safer-networking.org.exe to be unable to locate it. I simply renamed the relevant EXE file located at "Spybot Anti-Beacon\App\SpybotAntiBeacon" to SDCutTheLine.exe and now it's working. It was incorrectly renamed to SDAntiBeacon or some such, or alternatively someone forgot to update the Launcher EXE to recognize the name change
    Had the same problem as Nicholas Steel with the error pop-up, reinstalling suggestion of no use.
    Tracked it to the launcher ini, it directs to SDCutTheLine.exe which was correct for the previous version.
    Changed the ini to "SDAntiBeacon.exe" and now running 100%
    Hope that it will be corrected in the next version?