Thread: Post 10 install

Default Post 10 install

I loved the 1.6x freeware version. Got a bit suspicious when 2.x got very complicated compared to the 1.6x version.

After doing a clean install of Win 10 x64 and installing Spybot v2.4 the first run and update produced a file 'Post 10 install.exe' (or similar) on my desktop.

I was incautious enough to click it. Amongst others it enforces security center integration and on Windows 10 thus inevitably disables Windows Defender.

When I try to summarize it it sounds like this:

I've got a freeware solution that irreversibly disables Win Defender. It explicitely states it does not contain virus scanning, thus forcing me to install a 3rd party virus scanner.

At the bottom of the 1.6x version I remember a quote some of the popular AV solutions could itself be called malware (because of disabling Spybot) and thus harming the security of the concerned machine.

'Pimping' seemes to be a strong impulse in man, and I totally understand the urge to 'add new features', 'make more powerful', 'improve' etc. pp. It's reasonable and probably the motor behind all progress.

However there is another principle abbreviated 'KISS' (Keep it stupidly simple). He who neglects the latter one sooner or later gets his comeuppance. Take the market leader in auctions as an example for things not only getting compulsively changed and complicated, but actually only ever worse in the last 10 years.

Few things are ruined as fast as a good reputation, and it takes half an eternity to rebuild it once harmed.

Thus my plea to the programmers and makers of spybot: I totally understand you wanting a 'slice of the cake' (of paid AV solutions); a lot of work and lifeblood has been invested in this program by probably a small team. But don't get nasty relating to it. There are a lot of people having decided that Windows Defender and sound use of common sense (DON'T click on this MySexyPicture.com mail attachment ...) is enough. Keep it stupidly simple for them and don't try to enforce your paid solution upon them. The only results will be they (a) banish Spybot to the waste bin forever and (b) tell their friends about that experience.

No harm meant.
    Last edited by tt_1111; 2015-09-22 at 11:31.

Thanks for your post

What you're describing is a change Microsoft made to Action Center aka Security Center is Windows 10. Instead of allowing multiple parallel applications (to allow on-demand scanners to be kept parallel), it now enforces a "one software" rule. Thus when registering Spybot as AS, Defender AS will be disabled, and Defender AV gets disabled as part of this - by Action Center, not us. We never planed that, it simply happened with Windows 10 to a previously existing and otherwise working Spybot 2 WSC integration.

Spybot 2.5 as installed by the post upgrade process supports Windows 10 in all necessary (as defined by MS) aspects, but to fix this "optional" (though very annoying) issue, plus two other ones, an update to 2.5 is also in the works (actually already finished and currently being tested).

I agree about the KISS. Actually, a lot of changes in Spybot 2 were made to make it more simple - but in the end, they're probably not. We're currently working with dedicated design professionals to create a really user friendly Spybot 3 experience that focuses on our strengths.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)