Thread: Temporarily disable?

Smile Temporarily disable?

Hello, I have a paid registered version of AVAST installed and a paid registered version of SpyBot Search and Destroy installed as well.

Every time I start my computer I get this error box message:

Runtime error 217 at 500E83438

which I have discovered means that there are two anti-virus programs conflicting (AVAST and SSD).

I would like to be able to disable SSD occasionally when I install new software, and to eliminate the conflict at other times. I cannot figure out how to do it. I do not want to uninstall, just disable for a short time. ???Can this be done?

Hello Dunolde,

Quote Originally Posted by Dunolde View Post
    Hello, I have a paid registered version of AVAST installed and a paid registered version of SpyBot Search and Destroy installed as well.

Every time I start my computer I get this error box message:

Runtime error 217 at 500E83438

which I have discovered means that there are two anti-virus programs conflicting (AVAST and SSD).

I would like to be able to disable SSD occasionally when I install new software, and to eliminate the conflict at other times. I cannot figure out how to do it. I do not want to uninstall, just disable for a short time. ???Can this be done?
    Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause system performance problems and a serious system slowdown.

You can turn off Live Protection in Spybot if you choose to allow Avast to be your anti virus.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default temp disable?

Hi; I have the free edition of SSD and need to temporarily disable it so I can restore my computer; is there a simple way to do this? I'm playing around with the program but don't see anything that would allow. Thx much