Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Full Scan Doesn't End

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Here is what probably will be the final fix, an update installing involved files in version 2.6 over the current installation. With this fix, fixing results will work as well.
    Thanks PepiMK, I can confirm that the fix works as expected with the results fixing working normally again.

Rusty.

Cool It worked!

Upfront: while the name "Zlob" still is shown, this problem has nothing to do with Zlob. Zlob simply is the alphabetically last signature, directly after which browsers are scanned...

We've had two rounds of collecting system information to try to find a common ground so far, and tried to copy many configurations, which went without success in reproducing the issue (why not see below).

We then went through three rounds of sending test versions of SDSettings and collecting back test logs. Why SDSettings? Because it shows the same freeze but the user doesn't have to wait as long to experience it. From the logs created by these tests versions, we closed down on the issue, until we found where the freeze occurs in round three last week.

The issue is clearly Internet Explorer related - a corrupt Internet Explorer cache will cause Spybots cache analysis to freeze (cache is accessed in SDSettings as well for its tab showing the list of recognized browsers).

We can fix this inside Spybot, and started working on that, but since a new version needs to be written and tested and this consumes time, an idea for a faster workaround would be to clear the IE cache to remove any corrupt entries.

Could someone affected please go through these steps and report back whether this helps? As a quick fix we're going to write an IE cache wiper, but it would be helpful to see how deep the cache needs to be wiped, and in case forum answers are faster than email tickets...

Sorry if this does not mean much, but after snooping around the forums and stumbling onto this post, I can say from my experience that clearing the cache for Internet Explorer resulted in a completed scan (instead of being stuck on the Zlob item). Let me know if anything else is needed, but thanks for pointing out this fix that worked for me!

Upfront: while the name "Zlob" still is shown, this problem has nothing to do with Zlob. Zlob simply is the alphabetically last signature, directly after which browsers are scanned...

We've had two rounds of collecting system information to try to find a common ground so far, and tried to copy many configurations, which went without success in reproducing the issue (why not see below).

We then went through three rounds of sending test versions of SDSettings and collecting back test logs. Why SDSettings? Because it shows the same freeze but the user doesn't have to wait as long to experience it. From the logs created by these tests versions, we closed down on the issue, until we found where the freeze occurs in round three last week.

The issue is clearly Internet Explorer related - a corrupt Internet Explorer cache will cause Spybots cache analysis to freeze (cache is accessed in SDSettings as well for its tab showing the list of recognized browsers).

We can fix this inside Spybot, and started working on that, but since a new version needs to be written and tested and this consumes time, an idea for a faster workaround would be to clear the IE cache to remove any corrupt entries.

Could someone affected please go through these steps and report back whether this helps? As a quick fix we're going to write an IE cache wiper, but it would be helpful to see how deep the cache needs to be wiped, and in case forum answers are faster than email tickets...
    I don't use internet explorer, I have NEVER used internet explorer on the laptop, heck, the laptop doesn't even HAVE internet explorer installed, it has Microsoft Edge - so I'm at a loss to see how the issue can be related to that...

That said, I've flushed the cache there and am running Spybot again - let's see what happens ..

Hmmm, no surprise there - stops at exactly the same point.

Product : Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCInOz View Post
    I don't use internet explorer, I have NEVER used internet explorer on the laptop, heck, the laptop doesn't even HAVE internet explorer installed, ...
    ??

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Internet Explorer 11 comes with Windows 10. You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer since Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, but you can turn it on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBoyd0174 View Post
    Well, there you go. I didn't even know it was there, so that still proves my point that it's not internet explorer related (in my case at least) as that browser has never been launched on the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCInOz View Post
    Well, there you go. I didn't even know it was there, so that still proves my point that it's not internet explorer related (in my case at least) as that browser has never been launched on the laptop.
    What this proves is that you never launched IE, nothing more I'm afraid

There's tons of software that uses IE internally to display web content (without its button and menu bars etc.), where you'll never notice that they use the IE that's installed on your computer.

There's probably even more software that uses the invisible part that offers easy Internet connections, e.g. used by many apps that simply check for updates in the background.

And finally, there's tons of security software that access and modify the IE cache.

Which means that even if you did not launch IE, it probably has been used a lot. Check our "BrowserCI" tool (on the Dowloads section here on the forum) to see what has been accessed through IE on your computer.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)