Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Full Scan Doesn't End

Quote Originally Posted by RustyFuture View Post
    Hi All,

I'm also getting the same issue as everyone else with regards to being unable to open settings and the full scan freezing on the zlob codec. I have raised a support ticket and they stated that a lot of users have raised the full scan issue but they were unable to replicate it. They asked me a copy of the logs and my exisitng sdsettings.exe file. They sent me a replacement SDSettings.exe file, but this one didn't work either. I have heard nothing back on the full scan issue yet, but i've sent them a dump file of the sdsettings process running on my machine to see if that helps.

I will keep you update as I hear from Spybot Support Team and to any resolution on either issue.
    I finally got mine to work. Here's what I posted weeks ago: I had a support person respond to my request with the following advice: "Please open Spybot Settings and switch to the Categories tab. Deselect all products except Trojans-ZL-000. After that rescan your system. In case it
    again stops, make a screenshot of the whole Spybot window and add it to your next mail to us."

At first, I could not get the Settings menu to open for two days, but then this morning I ran the Update option a couple of times until all updates were made. The Settings menu finally popped up! Then I followed the directions above and ran the scan with only Trojans-ZL-000 selected. It ran fine except on the last item to be checked (Firefox bookmarks), it took about 5 minutes to complete.

After the revised scan completed with no issues, I went back and selected all the Categories in the Settings menu and re-ran the scan. Again, it took a long time to complete the last entry (Firefox bookmarks), but it completed successfully, showing me a number of things to be fixed.

It looks like I finally have a working Spybot application!

I hope this might work for others. If not, the only thing I can suggest is to fill out a support ticket and hope that the safer-networking folks will find a fix.

I, too, have this problem. I cannot start the Settings Menu. Additionally, in the upper left on the Start Center screen, I am told that "The Update Service is stopped." If I click on the "Update" icon, a message ("The background Updating Service is not started. Do you want to elevate, using administrator privileges to start ?") pops up. Answering "Yes" opens the Update module and clicking "Update" appears to run through its routine as usual. However, the Start Center still shows "The Update Service is stopped" -- even after closing the Update screen.

When I go to "Services" (in Operating System), I am unable to find any Service relating to Spybot (or Safer-Networking). Does anyone know the name of the Spybot Service that is not starting?

In any event, I am still unable to open the Settings Menu and the Scan still gets stuck on "zlob.zipcodec." Are there any suggestions as to what to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by RonBoyd0174 View Post
    I, too, have this problem. I cannot start the Settings Menu. Additionally, in the upper left on the Start Center screen, I am told that "The Update Service is stopped." If I click on the "Update" icon, a message ("The background Updating Service is not started. Do you want to elevate, using administrator privileges to start ?") pops up. Answering "Yes" opens the Update module and clicking "Update" appears to run through its routine as usual. However, the Start Center still shows "The Update Service is stopped" -- even after closing the Update screen.

When I go to "Services" (in Operating System), I am unable to find any Service relating to Spybot (or Safer-Networking). Does anyone know the name of the Spybot Service that is not starting?

In any event, I am still unable to open the Settings Menu and the Scan still gets stuck on "zlob.zipcodec." Are there any suggestions as to what to do next?
    spybot.png

As you can see from the link, the SD Services are listed.

The service should be called Spybot S&D 2 - Spybot updating service for the update.

spybot.png

As you can see from the link, the SD Services are listed.

The service should be called Spybot S&D 2 - Spybot updating service for the update.
    Well, that was my problem finding them. These three services were not listed -- a re-install of Spybot put them back where they belong. After doing an "Update," they stuck so I guess that's one thing off the table. I am, however, still unable to access the "Settings" menu.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBoyd0174 View Post
    Well, that was my problem finding them. These three services were not listed -- a re-install of Spybot put them back where they belong. After doing an "Update," they stuck so I guess that's one thing off the table. I am, however, still unable to access the "Settings" menu.
    Hi RonBoyd,

I'm also having this issue. Sbybot support even sent me a replacement settings file but that failed too. Deleting the file and letting the update process download it again didn't work either. I've sent further information to the support team, i'm waiting to hear back.Ii'll keep you updated.

I've sent further information to the support team, i'm waiting to hear back.Ii'll keep you updated.
    Thank you, Rusty.

I am guessing there is no remedy yet? Just dl'd the app today and it hangs up exactly as others here have mentioned. I tried the method someone in this post mentioned to no avail. I was about to purchase the app but since this issue is still not resolved, well I will not do so, at least not until this issue at the least, is dealt with, corrected. Hope to come back in a few days and notice a fix.

Default hangs up on Zlobzip.codec

I am having the same problem. Been using spybot with windows 10 since windows 10 got released. Using Norton Security with backup for a year before problem occurred. Tried running as administrator. Tried reinstalling. Running spybot 2.5.43. Will run 24 hours showing 100 percent done, hanging up on Zlobzip.codec 8F4129CC. Please let me know how to get the program to run properly and complete the scan like it always used to. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. Thank you for your help.

Hi carlkup & rsrsystems,

I haven't heard anything back from the Spybot support team since my last post.

Once I do, I will let you know.

I don't believe there is a fix yet, unless you can get to the Settings as mntom mentions.

Rusty.

Upfront: while the name "Zlob" still is shown, this problem has nothing to do with Zlob. Zlob simply is the alphabetically last signature, directly after which browsers are scanned...

We've had two rounds of collecting system information to try to find a common ground so far, and tried to copy many configurations, which went without success in reproducing the issue (why not see below).

We then went through three rounds of sending test versions of SDSettings and collecting back test logs. Why SDSettings? Because it shows the same freeze but the user doesn't have to wait as long to experience it. From the logs created by these tests versions, we closed down on the issue, until we found where the freeze occurs in round three last week.

The issue is clearly Internet Explorer related - a corrupt Internet Explorer cache will cause Spybots cache analysis to freeze (cache is accessed in SDSettings as well for its tab showing the list of recognized browsers).

We can fix this inside Spybot, and started working on that, but since a new version needs to be written and tested and this consumes time, an idea for a faster workaround would be to clear the IE cache to remove any corrupt entries.

Could someone affected please go through these steps and report back whether this helps? As a quick fix we're going to write an IE cache wiper, but it would be helpful to see how deep the cache needs to be wiped, and in case forum answers are faster than email tickets...
    Last edited by PepiMK; 2016-03-14 at 11:45. Reason: Added SDSettings round 4
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)