Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon and Bitdefender

Default Spybot Anti-Beacon and Bitdefender

I saw this post about Windows 8.1: "After running Spybot Anti-Beacon my anti-virus software Bitdefender Total Security warns me for an infection of the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Bitdefender adds that it has desinfected the item. It also claims the virus is Trojan.QHost.Gen."

It is also true for Windows 10 64bit. When I reopen Spybot Anti-Beacon, it's showing as 30% immunized, 16 of 53. I downloaded the latest version, 1.5, from MajorGeeks.

Is this a false-positive? If so, is there a way to keep Bitdefender from removing the new entries in the Hosts file?

Under the Protection tab, Telemetry Hosts lists "no blocks yet", but everything else is blocked. Under the Optional tab, Telemetry Hosts (extensive list) shows part of the bar green, but doesn't state how many of the 70 are blocked - I'm assuming zero is blocked from the information under the Protection tab. Everything else, other than Bing because I use it sometimes, is showing as blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by brt88965 View Post
    I saw this post about Windows 8.1: "After running Spybot Anti-Beacon my anti-virus software Bitdefender Total Security warns me for an infection of the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Bitdefender adds that it has desinfected the item. It also claims the virus is Trojan.QHost.Gen."

It is also true for Windows 10 64bit. When I reopen Spybot Anti-Beacon, it's showing as 30% immunized, 16 of 53. I downloaded the latest version, 1.5, from MajorGeeks.

Is this a false-positive? If so, is there a way to keep Bitdefender from removing the new entries in the Hosts file?

Under the Protection tab, Telemetry Hosts lists "no blocks yet", but everything else is blocked. Under the Optional tab, Telemetry Hosts (extensive list) shows part of the bar green, but doesn't state how many of the 70 are blocked - I'm assuming zero is blocked from the information under the Protection tab. Everything else, other than Bing because I use it sometimes, is showing as blocked.
    *Bump*

Default Spybot blocking Bing.com

Nope, it has its reason.

After applying the Spybot Anti-Beacon suddenly bing.com and all of its services (maps, translate, image suggestions in office programs, ...) couldn't be opened in any browser nor pinged. 'General network error' or something like this.

After deep digging I finally found an outgoing firewall rule for Telemetry completely blocking the IP address of Bing.com (204.79.197.200). Don't know whether that's simply a joke or intended kick in the arse of MS — however at the expense of Windows users at least occasionally utilizing Bing services.

It is okay to block certain *.exe files with clean-cut purposes like error reporting etc. pp. when the user is told this is going to happen. It is not okay to block a complete category of services without prominent warning including a precise hint how to undo it if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by tt_1111 View Post
    Nope, it has its reason.

After applying the Spybot Anti-Beacon suddenly bing.com and all of its services (maps, translate, image suggestions in office programs, ...) couldn't be opened in any browser nor pinged. 'General network error' or something like this.

After deep digging I finally found an outgoing firewall rule for Telemetry completely blocking the IP address of Bing.com (204.79.197.200). Don't know whether that's simply a joke or intended kick in the arse of MS — however at the expense of Windows users at least occasionally utilizing Bing services.

It is okay to block certain *.exe files with clean-cut purposes like error reporting etc. pp. when the user is told this is going to happen. It is not okay to block a complete category of services without prominent warning including a precise hint how to undo it if necessary.
    If you are using the latest version, Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.5, Bing should not be blocked.

Regarding BitDefender compatibility; if you manually edit the hosts file entries from Spybot Anti-Beacon to go to the IP "127.0.0.1" instead of "0.0.0.0", BitDefender should not view this file as suspicious. This will cause your internet browser to launch slightly slower however.

Default Why is this happening?

Fresh 8.1 pro (update 3).

Bitdefender 2016.

Same situation.

Please help guys.

Bitdefender reporting hosts file locked and trojan, after running anti beacon.

How can we resolve this please?

Friends - I really need some help here please.

BitDefender 2016 Total Solution - SpyBot antibeacon (when applied) in the options tab:

Bitdefender says:

"Successfully blocked infected file: The file C:\Windows\Sytem32\Drivers\etc\hosts is infected with Trojan.QHost.Gen."

Need help with a solution.

I have just done a fresh install of my 8.1 x86 pro laptop - and this is the result I am seeing. By the way install order was BitDefender first, Anti-beacon second.

Thanks - Dr.Jones