Thread: Settings & scan

Default Settings & scan

Hi Guys,
    Spybot - Search & Destroy + AV
    Version 2.5.42.0
    Start Center 2.5.42.130
    Windows 10.0.10586
    Microsoft Edge
    When I click on the Settings button, User Account Control pops up and I say Yes and then nothing happens.
    I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several times. Run in Safe mode too.
    Immunisation works.
    I can download the updates.
    I can run a scan but it sticks right at the end on "Status: Scan progressing... Product: Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files..."
    I have another machine with the same setup and the Settings button opens fine and the scan completes.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul

Hello stevenson53,

Please see: https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...an-Doesn-t-End

As the team so far has been unable to reproduce the problem and you have two machines that respond differently to a scan could you provide more details to the set up?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello stevenson53,

As the team so far has been unable to reproduce the problem and you have two machines that respond differently to a scan could you provide more details to the set up?

Best regards.
    Thanks for getting back to me. What further setup details would you like other than that already provided? I believe that the effected computer had some sort of Malware which hijacked the browser but I think I have removed that but maybe not. Maybe this is still effecting the performance of Spybot? I ran Spybot as an administrator.
    Just getting the Settings button to work would be a big help When I hit the settings button, I get the little blue circle timer for about 5 secs then it goes off and the settings does not pop up.
    Also when I hit the Startup Tools button, the box pops up but is blank and shows it as "not responding".
    I have done an SFC to check the OS files and no problem there.
    Thanks
    Paul

Hello stevenson53,

Best regards.

BTW, the settings button or Startup Tools buttons under Associated Tasks also don't work.
    Paul

Hello stevenson53,

Quote Originally Posted by stevenson53 View Post
    I believe that the effected computer had some sort of Malware which hijacked the browser but I think I have removed that but maybe not. Maybe this is still effecting the performance of Spybot? I ran Spybot as an administrator.
    Do you remember which malware it was and how was it removed? Aside from the issue you are experiencing how is that particular machine running now.

When you say you ran Spybot as an Administrator does this mean you elevated Spybot's permissions or, using your computer's Administrator account?

Best regards.

Hello stevenson53,

Do you remember which malware it was and how was it removed? Aside from the issue you are experiencing how is that particular machine running now.

When you say you ran Spybot as an Administrator does this mean you elevated Spybot's permissions or, using your computer's Administrator account?

Best regards.

Thanks for getting back to me. I used Spyhunter and Malwarebytes. There was a lot and I can't remember what they were but at least one was about bypassing computer protection. This is my partners computer and she has no idea about safe browsing :(

I right clicked on the Spybot file and ran as an administrator. I think this is what you call "elevated".

The machine seems to be OK now except that I have always used Spybot and want to return to it.

I have seen that many others seem to be having the same problem opening Settings and the scan stalling on "Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files..." but I haven't seen a solution in any of their posts.

Paul
    Last edited by stevenson53; 2016-02-09 at 00:33.

Hello Paul,

I have seen that many others seem to be having the same problem opening Settings and the scan stalling on "Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files..." but I haven't seen a solution in any of their posts.

Paul
    Right, I haven't seen a solution presented yet.

In general how is the computer running, any current issues other than the Zlob scan?

Best regards.

Hello Paul,

Right, I haven't seen a solution presented yet.

In general how is the computer running, any current issues other than the Zlob scan?

Best regards.

The machine doesn't seem to have a problem but I can't turn off Spybot protection because I can't get into settings and as such, I can't turn on Defender which I absolutely want on. Any help on this one?

I am just running an ESET online scanner to see if that can find anything. I'll let you know.

The machine doesn't seem to have a problem but I can't turn off Spybot protection because I can't get into settings and as such, I can't turn on Defender which I absolutely want on. Any help on this one?

I am just running an ESET online scanner to see if that can find anything. I'll let you know.
    Hello Paul,

Sorry, I didn't address the "settings" issue, did you see this FAQ: https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...able-services/

If that doesn't help and the Eset scan result is negative could you request a support ticket please.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/

However if Eset does flag an item please let me know.

Best regards.

Attached is what the ESET scanner found. That's ESET, Spyhunter and Malwarebytes all ran and cleaned.

No luck getting to settings though.
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-02-09 at 04:06. Reason: Log kept from view to avoid others from posting such in the Spybot forum. :-)