Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zlob.ZipCodec

Default Zlob.ZipCodec

Has anyone tried to manually remove the Trojan? This came up in a search on this forum but since it was posted in 2008 I'm not ready to jump through the hoops it explains.

My client has Windows 10, Spybot +AV 2.5 running on a brand new Lenovo desktop and still managed to get this trojan.

Another system has Windows 7 with the same Spybot + AV 2.5 and he managed to get the cryptowall virus.

Still having issues with trying to run Windows Defender and Spyboy concurrently.
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-02-08 at 22:16. Reason: Split off from another thread

Hello shellyjmcd,

Quote Originally Posted by shellyjmcd View Post
    Has anyone tried to manually remove the Trojan? This came up in a search on this forum but since it was posted in 2008 I'm not ready to jump through the hoops it explains.
    The topic to which you'd posted was about Spybot freezing on a definition, not that the malware was on the computers, so I split your post off to a new topic.

My client has Windows 10, Spybot +AV 2.5 running on a brand new Lenovo desktop and still managed to get this trojan.
    Another system has Windows 7 with the same Spybot + AV 2.5 and he managed to get the cryptowall virus.
    The computers are not your personal machines? CryptoWall is a file-encrypting ransomware and we can discuss that issue after I receive your response to my post.

Still having issues with trying to run Windows Defender and Spyboy concurrently.
    Spybot +AV and Defender on both computers? FYI: Rule of thumb is one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...er-av-program/

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-02-08 at 23:01. Reason: Added
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Zlob.zipcodec

I have a similar problem. I have Windows 10 (fully updated) Spybot 2.5 (also fully updated) and every time I run a scan it ends on the Zlob.zipcodec file. Spybot just keeps running and running. I can't open "Settings" if I run "Report creator" Spybot crashes or hangs. Startup Tools also doesn't work. I have tried removing and installing Spybot again, still the same.

I have raised a ticket and sent tons of emails with screen shots of the faults, I have tried all the things suggested nothing worked, but now no one is even acknowledging my emails any more. It has been a week and a half since anyone from Spybot replied to me and I am disappointed, I would have thought that someone would at least tell me they are working on it, but nope, Nada.

Default Same problem as others

I have a similar problem. I have Windows 10 (fully updated) Spybot 2.5 (also fully updated) and every time I run a scan it ends on the Zlob.zipcodec file. Spybot just keeps running and running. I can't open "Settings" if I run "Report creator" Spybot crashes or hangs. Startup Tools also doesn't work. I have tried removing and installing Spybot again, still the same.

I have raised a ticket and sent tons of emails with screen shots of the faults, I have tried all the things suggested nothing worked, but now no one is even acknowledging my emails any more. It has been a week and a half since anyone from Spybot replied to me and I am disappointed, I would have thought that someone would at least tell me they are working on it, but nope, Nada.

Scott

Default Same Problem with zlob.zipcodec

Progress bar nearly 100%
    Won't proceed any further - have waited as long as 48 hours.
    Also unable to open Settings.
    Uninstalled and re-installed Spybot - same problem.
    Win 10 x64
    Problem started a couple weeks ago.
    "Stop scan" is recognized (button grays out) but scan never stops - have to kill Spybot in task manager.

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by KenCM View Post
    Progress bar nearly 100%
    Won't proceed any further - have waited as long as 48 hours.
    Also unable to open Settings.
    Uninstalled and re-installed Spybot - same problem.
    Win 10 x64
    Problem started a couple weeks ago.
    "Stop scan" is recognized (button grays out) but scan never stops - have to kill Spybot in task manager.
    Having exactly the same problem as a LOT of others seem to be...

Windows 10, Spybot 2.5.42.0 (uninstalled and re-installed) to no effect.

Would be nice to see some responses from admin other than they can't replicate the problem - 'cos it seems there's a lot of us that can

Default Responses

[QUOTE=tashi;468703]Hello shellyjmcd,

The topic to which you'd posted was about Spybot freezing on a definition, not that the malware was on the computers, so I split your post off to a new topic.

OK!

The computers are not your personal machines? CryptoWall is a file-encrypting ransomware and we can discuss that issue after I receive your response to my post.

We ended up wiping the system with the Cryptowall - it is a nasty one, and having Spybot didn't catch it, though I suspect my client was not letting his updates run.

Spybot +AV and Defender on both computers? FYI: Rule of thumb is one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...er-av-program/

Yes I was trying to follow our brainiac computer guys instructions on what to use but he didn't realize I had the AV version of Spybot.

Default zipcodec

So bottom line on the Trojan is that it too got past Spybot and we are experiencing the same behavior as described by the others here. This particular system is a brand new Lenovo running Win10 and the very first thing I did was move her Spybot license to the new machine, created a white list and installed Office and QuickBooks. She does surf the net a bit so once I either get a solution through my trouble ticket or reinstall her OS to wipe it clean, I am going to set up her old system to surf on, it's just not safe out there even with Spybot working hard to try and protect us.

I got a quick response to my ticket but haven't heard back on my responses for 2 days now. I think we just need to know you hear us - especially considering Spybot seems to be the only thing affected by this latest version of zipcodec.

Thanks everyone.

Default I'm nore sure we are infected with zipcodec.. just hangs when running SB

[QUOTE=shellyjmcd;468802]So bottom line on the Trojan is that it too got past Spybot and we are experiencing the same behavior as described by the others here. This particular system is a brand new Lenovo running Win10 and the very first thing I did was move her Spybot license to the new machine, created a white list and installed Office and QuickBooks. She does surf the net a bit so once I either get a solution through my trouble ticket or reinstall her OS to wipe it clean, I am going to set up her old system to surf on, it's just not safe out there even with Spybot working hard to try and protect us.

Its unclear to me if my machine is infected with Zipcodec - whatever that is. I don't think so as there are no issues I can see - other than Spybot does not finish the scan - ever. (as many have reported). Is there some way to tell if I have Zipcodec on my computer? I have looked and searched the suggested files, but nothing on my computer seems to show Zipcodec. I would imagine all others are in the same boat - nothing showing Zipcodec on their systems either.

Yes, no info from SB is very concerning - can't imagine why there is NO response. Perhaps they are all on vacation? (for the next months)

sc

Default same issue spybot 2.5 gets to 100% and sits

i am also running an upgraded windows 10 64bit. windows defender runs a clean scan but i have had viruses and malware before that were not caught by defender so i researched spybot and downloaded it. it has fully updated and i have run it with no results, my first scan ran to 98% after 4 hours of waiting with no other progress i closed it and reran the scan and left it for the night, at 5 am it said 100% but nothing else. closed rebooted the system and tried again and left for a few hours with it running, when i returned again it sat at 100% but never told me anything more just sat. i then looked up the issue and did some of the suggested things like disabling cookies and turning off my defender and shutting down all my windows and running processes and tried to run another scan, again i have made it to 100% but have been sitting at 100% for over an hour. other than finding another malware program that will complete the scan im at a loss and as i have read this seems to be an issue for a lot of people and no one seems to be answering how to fix the issue. any suggestions to getting the program to complete the process would be appreciated