Thread: Spybot won't uninstall on new Win10 notebook

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot won't uninstall on new Win10 notebook

Hi... I bought a new notebook loaded with Windows 10 a few months ago. Last week I got hit by malware, and ran Malwarebytes, Spybot and a couple AV programs booted from USB sticks which seem to have resolved the issue.

Malwarebytes uninstalled with no problems. But after uninstalling Spybot, I keep getting a Spybot popup after booting Win10 that says:

"Welcome to spybot Re: installation"

Searching the forums here I found several posts where the resolution was to: "Delete the file 'Post Windows 10 Spybot-install' from your desktop", or from the \ProgramData folder for Spybot.

However I have found no such file even after searching the entire C:\ drive.

Looking at Win10's MSCONFIG which is now a 'Startup' tab in Task Manager, I see where the Spybot re-installation program is set to start at boot from residual files that the Spybot uninstaller did not remove. I've disabled Spybot there, which at least prevents the Spybot re-installation popup at boot.

So... What do I need to do to at this point to complately remove any last vestiges of Spybot from my system now?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Last edited by attrakk452; 2016-02-10 at 14:52. Reason: spelling