Thread: Spybot won't uninstall on new Win10 notebook

Default Spybot won't uninstall on new Win10 notebook

Hi... I bought a new notebook loaded with Windows 10 a few months ago. Last week I got hit by malware, and ran Malwarebytes, Spybot and a couple AV programs booted from USB sticks which seem to have resolved the issue.

Malwarebytes uninstalled with no problems. But after uninstalling Spybot, I keep getting a Spybot popup after booting Win10 that says:

"Welcome to spybot Re: installation"

Searching the forums here I found several posts where the resolution was to: "Delete the file 'Post Windows 10 Spybot-install' from your desktop", or from the \ProgramData folder for Spybot.

However I have found no such file even after searching the entire C:\ drive.

Looking at Win10's MSCONFIG which is now a 'Startup' tab in Task Manager, I see where the Spybot re-installation program is set to start at boot from residual files that the Spybot uninstaller did not remove. I've disabled Spybot there, which at least prevents the Spybot re-installation popup at boot.

So... What do I need to do to at this point to complately remove any last vestiges of Spybot from my system now?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Last edited by attrakk452; 2016-02-10 at 14:52. Reason: spelling

Useless moderators who are doing nothing to help and offer support yet go around deleting useful replies, deleted my reply because it had the word aids on it. AIDS AIDS AIDS whats the big deal?
    I offered solid advice:
    The best course would be to perform a clean install and format your HDD. That way you get a clean slate free of any left over malware or registry errors

Quote Originally Posted by gozmon View Post
    Useless moderators who are doing nothing to help and offer support yet go around deleting useful replies, deleted my reply because it had the word aids on it. AIDS AIDS AIDS whats the big deal?
    I offered solid advice:
    The best course would be to perform a clean install and format your HDD. That way you get a clean slate free of any left over malware or registry errors
    I did see your post before it was removed gozmon. But I'm reasonably sure the malware I addressed was not anything serious. And I'm pretty certain it didn't do any damage. I see no reason to think a full re-installation of Win10 would be necessary at this point. I went overboard really running Kasperksy and Avast AV from bootable USB flash drives, and everything has been working well.

I'm also pretty sure removing the remainder of the Spybot installation should be simple. But I'd like to have the process confirmed by one of the Spybot team before I commit any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by attrakk452 View Post
    I did see your post before it was removed gozmon. But I'm reasonably sure the malware I addressed was not anything serious. And I'm pretty certain it didn't do any damage. I see no reason to think a full re-installation of Win10 would be necessary at this point. I went overboard really running Kasperksy and Avast AV from bootable USB flash drives, and everything has been working well.

I'm also pretty sure removing the remainder of the Spybot installation should be simple. But I'd like to have the process confirmed by one of the Spybot team before I commit any changes.
    The clean install is not necessary to get rid of malware, its to get a clean slate. Its a good practice to to clean install once in a while anyways instead of applying all of these band-aids
    You say your notebook is new, why not just format the hdd and start over, its a fairly simple process. The most tedious work would be in backing up your files to an external hdd, after that is fairly straight forward

If you need help with that, i can walk you over it

edit
    have you tried reinstalling Spybot to repair any corruption and then successfully uninstall it
    edit#2
    It would have been fair simpler and faster to format your HDD and do a clean install from the beginning, you would have solved any issues already and be on a clean slate
    Last edited by gozmon; 2016-02-11 at 06:47.

Hello gozmon,

Quote Originally Posted by gozmon View Post
    I offered solid advice:
    Indeed, your post after you registered, suggesting a member reformat their computer, was moved by Admin.

If a user needs malware removal help they should start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Note:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...ll=1#post16905

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello attrakk45,

Have you seen the Knowledge Base:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/knowledgebase/

If that doesn't help you can request a support ticket:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/