Thread: dnsapi.dll , Cant install malware bytes and other security programs

Default dnsapi.dll , Cant install malware bytes and other security programs

Hi. Let me take the short version first. Last night I was watching Netflix, then i went to bed. The morning after, the pc had updatet itself ( Win 10, beta tester )
    When i then logged into the pc, i got an error about: dnsapi.dll is either not design to run on windows or it contains an error. (popup) This comes all the time now, maybe 20 times an hour

My Panda antivirus regoniced it as a trojan placed in c: windows / syswow64 / dnsapi.dll
    But it cant do anything with it. When ever i try to press the link where Panda says i should read to remove it, firefox crashes, and wont let me send a chrash report.

Malwarebytes cant be installed as i get an error about it ( picture added ), tho even if i try to run as admin.

I will also send logs from farbay ( not sure if that will help )

Is this just a false positive after the pc updated itself ?

Below are attached screenshots of the errors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Please print out or make a copy in notepad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    Please back up your registry!

Backup the Registry:
    Credit: Dakeyras

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download the installer for Registry Backup from here or here and save to your desktop.
    • Right-click on tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe and select Run as Administrator >> Follow the prompts for a default installation
    • Ensure the option Open "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" When Install Completes is selected >> Next > >> Finish
    • Once the GUI(graphical user interface) has appeared/loaded:-

• Click on Backup Now >> once the process is complete the below will be displayed in the GUI:-

• Close Tweaking.com - Registry Backup

Note: There will now be a folder at the root of the Hard-Drive named C:\RegBackup, do not delete this as it is the actual backup just created.

A tutorial for Registry Backup explaining the various features be viewed HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)
    There are 6 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
    Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
    You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan
    • Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32) or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) andsave the file to your Desktop.
    • Note: Download and run the version compatible with your system (32 or 64-bit). Download both if you're unsure; only one will run.
    • Right-Click FRST.exe / FRST64.exe and select Run as administrator to run the programme.
    • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
    • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
    • Click the Scan button and let the programme run.
    • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
    • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your Desktop. Copy the contents of both logs and paste in your next reply.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.