Thread: latest spybot update blocks skype install/update

Lightbulb latest spybot update blocks skype install/update

Hello all
    im using on Win 10 Pro , spybot search & destroy 2.4 and i noticed about a week ago or so that i cant update Skype either running the webinstaller SkypeSetup.exe that you download from skype.com or by clicking updating and download through the software itself.
    even tried on safe mode without any firewall nor antivirus on and still the same, so i though about DNS and that happens to be the case.
    i temporarily removed all entries from hosts file that spybot inserts and no problem contacting msn or whatever.com and resuming the update. So i assume there is an entry blocking a "legitimate" URL.

thats all about this minor issue all other functionality seems to run fine.
    Thanks!

Hello afterglow,
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
    i temporarily removed all entries from hosts file that spybot inserts and no problem contacting msn or whatever.com and resuming the update. So i assume there is an entry blocking a "legitimate" URL.
    Did you noticed a specific entry in the HOSTS file related to Skype?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello afterglow,

Did you noticed a specific entry in the HOSTS file related to Skype?

Best regards.

yes in fact i just tested out since i had the same thing after reformatting so i gave a better look now.
    in fact if skype is unable to perform web download itself, then points you to a URL in order to download offline package but that too is unreachable. so comment out the entry
    127.0.0.1 ui.skype.com
    and works fine.

so i assume you could remove that line since a) is legit, and b) it would cause headaches to loads of users if unable to auto-upgrade or visit the suggested skype webpage for full installer,right?
    thanks

Default outlook 2016 unable to add hotmail or live account

OK so i just had another similar hickup today while setting up my newly formatted workstation.
    BTW im on Win 10 Pro and Outlook 2016 (both legit)

So firing up Outlook 2016 and i was getting following error when i was only trying to add my hotmail.com account

fail.PNG

encrypted connection to your mail server is not available

of course it was looking rather weird since theres no way nowadays and especially from MS that smtp traffic is unencrypted i didnt actually go further trying to send unencrypted account details.
    First of all i completelly stopped windows firewall service and there is no other software running since i just formatted and always spybot is probably one of the first applications i always install anyway,
    So i did the same as with skype earlier on, renamed my hosts file to something else and just left a new one with no entries and i also run ipconfing /flushdns to be sure of the result.
    So voila !
    ok.PNG

all good, i replicated again to be sure and yes it seems to me that another DNS entry is blocked but this time i cant find which one can it be really.
    browsing around i find that imap server settings are imap-mail.outlook.com or smtp-mail.outlook.com but nothing similar to this is in hosts so i actually dont have a clue, perhaps setting a wireshark would help if you wanna troubleshoot better but im unable to go into this now.

p.s perhaps the initial topic could be edited to include Outlook issue

As always, thanks for the product
    Last edited by afterglow; 2016-03-31 at 23:17.