Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everything is in slow motion

Here is the log. Computer is same, still slow and laggy.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version:18-04-2016
    Ran by The Arnolds (2016-04-21 13:07:54) Run:2
    Running from C:\Users\The Arnolds\Desktop
    Loaded Profiles: The Arnolds (Available Profiles: The Arnolds & Greg)
    Boot Mode: Normal
    ==============================================

fixlist content:
    start
    CreateRestorePoint:
    CloseProcesses:
    Task: {4D520EFB-B3AA-4475-9EC1-D9A31DF57B34} - System32\Tasks\HP Photo Creations Communicator => C:\Users\The Arnolds\AppData\Roaming\HP Photo Creations\Communicator.exe [2015-12-02] ()
    C:\ProgramData\{010DD54D-6F97-418D-BC47-2089F30A0075}
    EmptyTemp:
    Hosts:
    End

Restore point was successfully created.
    Processes closed successfully.
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain\{4D520EFB-B3AA-4475-9EC1-D9A31DF57B34}" => key removed successfully
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{4D520EFB-B3AA-4475-9EC1-D9A31DF57B34}" => key removed successfully
    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\HP Photo Creations Communicator => moved successfully
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\HP Photo Creations Communicator" => key removed successfully
    C:\ProgramData\{010DD54D-6F97-418D-BC47-2089F30A0075} => moved successfully
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts => moved successfully
    Hosts restored successfully.
    EmptyTemp: => 554.9 MB temporary data Removed.

The system needed a reboot.

==== End of Fixlog 13:09:07 ====

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

turn on/off Automatic Updates and reboot the computer?
    Did you try the above?

It's probably not Nortons doing the slow down but you can experiment.
    Right click on the icon and see if you can temporarily disable it just to experiment to see if a browser will open as it should. Then re-enable it.
    Did you try the above?

By chance, did you receive a Private message from me?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Hi, Juliet,

Yes, I tried the Norton disable/enable with reboot....no change. Sorry for not letting you know.

Also tried the Microsoft update on/off...no change.

No, I did not receive a PM from you. I'm not even sure how I would be notified that you sent one.

You might have your private messages turned off in your profile, we can check this later.

There was a link I wanted you to read over here
    Some of the issues your having might be related to comments there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This repair may take some hours !!!

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
    - Right click on and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
    (Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk.

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

I wanted to post another statement about Windows updates being way off this month

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index...02#entry876511

[quote name="AplusWebMaster" post="876511" timestamp="1461317460"]
    FYI...

KB3148812 breaks WSUS server - DO NOT INSTALL
    - https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/kb314...s-wsus-server/
    22 Apr 2016 - "We are seeing loads of reports of KB3148812* -breaks- WSUS server. This update is supposed to prepare WSUS (Windows Software Update Services) to be able to install W10 updates from the WSUS server. It is described as Update enables ESD decryption provision in WSUS in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. Update enables ESD decryption provision in WSUS in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2..."

Update enables ESD decryption provision in WSUS in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2
    * https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3148812
    Last Review: 04/20/2016 04:45:00 - Rev: 3.0

What you need to know about KB3148812
    ** http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/arch...kb3148812.aspx
    21 Apr 2016 - "... We try not to require post-update manual effort whenever possible, and unfortunately in this case it was unavoidable. This post describes the symptoms you’ll see, details how to resolve them, and then provides some background on this change... it requires some additional manual steps to be taken afterward in order to realign the moving parts of the system. More information on that will be available via the KB article and this blog later-this-week." ??

[/quote]

Oh, boy, Juliet, I think I screwed up. Have been going through the steps and on step 3 I did not reboot the computer. Yikes. I did step four and now I don't know if I should create a restore point yet without rebooting. Not sure what to do so I will wait to hear back from you before doing anything. That's what I get for multitasking. So sorry.

Default Ps

Also, I did get your Pm, just did not get any alert that it was there. No worries. I did read through everything on that link. I have not read through your latest post stuff but will once I feel it is safe to browse through the internet. Right now antivirus is still disabled. Thanks so much.

I would make a restore point now, and when we're finished we can make another.

Surfing the internet should be done with Antivirus protection on.

Ugh, so another screw up. Sorry. Got in late last night and without thinking rebooted before doing a restore. Now, this morning, just staring at the computer once again, not knowing if I should go back into Tweaking and start again or just pick up where I left off or if I have screwed up all the stuff I did yesterday. Will wait again for your thoughts.

Thanks for sending the links. I did read through them, although I have to admit I do not understand all the information, other than I gather that the Microsoft update is what screwed up my computer.

Microsoft update is what screwed up my computer.
    It's possible, especially when I can't find any malware.

After you restarted your computer, how did it act?

If it's acting better then we can skip the below

I don't think it would hurt to just start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliet View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This repair may take some hours !!!

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
    - Right click on and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
    (Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk.

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.