Thread: Update = forcible reboot? (<--- Not nice!)

Angry Update = forcible reboot? (<--- Not nice!)

Using Spybot S&D 2.4.40.130 free on Windows 7 x64. I went to the update engine as it had not updated in 97 days. I started the update and left it in the background while working on other stuff. Suddenly various windows began closing left and right, programs put up exit confirmation dialogues which were also closed automatically, and my machine logged off and restarted. I lost unsaved data in at least one application.

Is this forcible reboot standard operating procedure for a Spybot update? Is it possible to convey without yelling how strongly I dislike this behavior even in an operating system, let alone auxiliary software? DON'T REBOOT MY MACHINE WITHOUT ASKING ME. EVER.

This is not an issue I have encountered before with Spybot, it is possible another program on your PC triggered the restart.

Are you running Spybot as an administrator?

You can do this by right-clicking the Spybot icon and choosing the option to "run as administrator". This must be done to give Spybot the permissions it needs to function correctly.

Have you successfully downloaded all updates for Spybot?

Please see here for instructions if you are experiencing any issues downloading updates:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...update-failed/

Have you successfully carried out a complete scan with Spybot to find and remove any detectable malware?

If this does not solve your issue, please let us know and we will search for an alternate solution.

This happened to me too (I have Search & Destroy 2.5) on Windows 64 bit; it just rebooted without asking.

Default Forced reboot on update relating to snlbase150

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    This happened to me too (I have Search & Destroy 2.5) on Windows 64 bit; it just rebooted without asking.
    Same here, just now. New install. It was updating a particular file (snlbase150 or something similar) and then it forced a reboot. No questions, no dialog boxes, nothing. I did not lose unsaved work, fortunately.

Like the OP, I DESPISE software that does that.

Redbeard

Hello,

Please open a support ticket and provide a link to this thread.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016