Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: downloader.obfuskated [Smitfraud]

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback and for returning your information.

1) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Uninstall.exe <<< I am 99% sure this is a problem, please use these tools to validate that fact:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    Post the results for me to view.

2) You will have to do this first, once you know it is bad, then follow my instructions to get rid of it.
    How to make files and folders visible:
    Click Start > Open My Computer.
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
    Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
    Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    Click Yes to confirm.
    Click OK.

3) Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune
    http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/
    Save it to your Desktop. We will use this later.

4) You also have this one onboard, you should read about it, it needs to go.
    http://research.sunbelt-software.com...threatid=43858
    How to use the Delete on Reboot tool http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...42.html#delreb
    Start Hijackthis
    Click on the Config button
    Click on the Misc Tools button
    Click on the button labeled Delete a file on reboot...
    A new window will open asking you to select the file that you would like to delete on reboot. Navigate to the file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xkeyshll.dll and click on it once, and then click on the Open button.
    You will now be asked if you would like to reboot your computer to delete the file. Click on the Yes button if you would like to reboot now.

5) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlPanel] C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd32.exe internat.dll,LoadKeyboardProfile
    O4 - Global Startup: Uninstall.exe
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: xkeyshll - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xkeyshll.dll
    (should say (file missing)

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

6) RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Uninstall.exe <<< delete that file

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xkeyshll.dll <<< delete that file (probably gone, just don't miss it)

7) Run ATF Cleaner
    Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
    Click the Empty Selected button.
    Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart and post a new HJT log, let me know how it went and how the computer is running now.

Thanks

Hi there, and again thanks for the swift reply. I could not access the second and third sites you suggested - just came up with page not found, but I was able to do the scan at virusscan.jotti.org, with the following results;

File: Uninstall.exe
    MD5 47897bc6379bc7f5b42e7771a979ec79
    Packers detected: FSG
    Scanner results
    AntiVir Found Heuristic/Malware (probable variant)
    ArcaVir Found nothing
    Avast Found Win32:Zlob-AO
    AVG Antivirus Found nothing
    BitDefender Found Generic.Malware.SYd!dld.E234BFF6
    ClamAV Found Trojan.Downloader.Small-2317
    Dr.Web Found DLOADER.Trojan (probable variant)
    F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
    Fortinet Found PossibleThreat!010046
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
    NOD32 Found probably a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.Delf.OG (probable variant)
    Norman Virus Control Found Suspicious_F.gen
    UNA Found nothing
    VirusBuster Found nothing
    VBA32 Found nothing

Seems as though it's a bit suspicious!

I will now carry on with the rest of your instructions and will revert as soon as the next scan is available.

Many thanks,
    Keith

Yep Keith, it is bad, all the sites are working for me but that is enough confirmation, follow the instructions as posted.

Thanks...Phil

Hi again Phil, I was unable to find the file xkeyshll.dll - definately not there. I did a full system search in case it was lurking in another directory but no joy. Also couldn't find to delete the other uninstall.exe file - it too was missing. No netsh.exe windows after reboot but from double-clicking on programs it was 55 seconds before the first one opened up. Everything else after that was quick to start as usual, just a big wait for the first one to start.

I see from the log below that Hijackthis has found the xkeyshll.dll again, but I can't see it myself in c:\windows\system32.

Keith

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 16:55:27, on 16/09/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
    O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "c:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
    O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/actives...ree/asinst.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: xkeyshll - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xkeyshll.dll
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

OK sir, that is all we have left to kill, return to the instructions for doing the Delete on reboot tool, this time copy and paste the information into the delete box: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xkeyshll.dll <<< just like that and follow the instructions. Then you should be able to remove the line from the HJT log. Let me know, you can do this, you are almost there

Thanks

Right then Phil, file deleted manually and this time it showed up in the Hijackthis log as file missing, as it should have according to your instructions. The latest log (fingers crossed) looks hopeful....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 18:06:53, on 16/09/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
    O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "c:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTBROA~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
    O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/actives...ree/asinst.cab
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

Cheers for now,
    Keith

OK Keith you sure you don't want a job removing malware? You have a clean log. Now we need to get rid of that junk in the ewido log. C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ <<< open that folder and then the quarantine folder and delete the contents.

Now to clean the System Restore files: System Restore does not know the good files from the bad. In case bad stuff has gotten into your System Restore files, follow the instructions in this link to get clean System Restore files. Turn it off, reboot then turn it back on:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

ewido is a great program but it does use some resources. Once the trial is over you can update and use the scanner for as long as you wish, but unless you purchase it you should turn it off completely so it does not run unless you start it manually.

Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
    http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
    http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
    http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

Safe surfing...tashi will close the topic in a few days.

Thanks...pskelley
    Safer Networking Forums
    http://www.spybot.info/en/donate/index.html
    If you are reading this information...thank a teacher,
    If you are reading it in English...thank a soldier.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7367

That's great Phil, many thanks for the time and effort you've put in to this - I really appreciate the help. If you're ever over here in Scotland I'll buy you a beer or two!

Just before winding up, a last quick bit of advice if you can. One of the first signs that I was infected was a disabled TaskManager, and it is still saying "Task Manager has been disabled by your Administrator". I've changed the registry setting DisableTaskMgr back to 0 and rebooted but it still comes up with the same warning message (and the registry value is definitely set to zero). Surely there isn't still something nasty lurking in there deep under the surface???

All the best to you and all the other volunteers.
    Keith

I'll link you to this information:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+Administrator
    It could be the infection changed your setting, but I had not seen it with this infection before. You should find what you are looking for there.
    I'll move on in the meantime looking for more malware to dispatch Let me know how it goes, what fixes it. If tashi closes the topic, just find my name and click it and send me a PM.

Thanks

Phil

All that was required was the registry fix - Task Manager now back to working like a dream.

Thanks again and take care,
    Keith