Thread: Concerns about malware from " _q_idm 6 "

Default Concerns about malware from " _q_idm 6 "

I wanted to install IDM on a new computer but didn't know where I had put my serial key. So

I went for a crack. Bad idea.

I went to the link "http://www.idm-crack...tml"andfollowedthe following steps:

1: Clicked Download: Mirror Link
    2: Clicked "Download Crack + Setup"
    3: Started Executable
    4: Saw shitware and clicked close in bottom left corner
    5:Some tab came up which I closed without reading. I fear that it said that if you click close without unchecking shitware in install it installs said shitware.
    6:I wanted to run the executable but now my avast was stopping me. I turned if off for a bit in order to run the executable but had second thoughts, cancelled and ran a system restore.
    7: Tried again, had second thoughts again. Ran another system restore. (I read in you're "before posting" section that I shouldn't have used system restore, but I already had at that point. My apologies for that)

After running the executable some shitware search engine and some other site were opened up in my browser.
    Since then I haven't noticed anything wrong, but it has only been a few hours.

First off, can someone tell me what the damage is? Maybe someone could tell me what the message I didn't read said (by running " _q_idm 6 " for me, with the appropriate precautions of course). With luck it might have said that it WON'T install the shitware, but I have my doubts about that.

(My OS is Windows 7 64bit in case anyone wants to know)

My gratitude in advance and apologies for any impositions.

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

You have also posted for help here
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...Speed=noscript

zep516 has replied, your in good hands.

I will close this topic in order to not create confusion.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.