Thread: Stuck in infinite Uninstall - Restart - Re-Install

Default Stuck in infinite Uninstall - Restart - Re-Install

So yesterday I uninstalled Spybot but postponed the reboot till after I was finished with my work. When I start up the computer today there is a UAC message asking if I allow Spybot to make changes on the computer.
    Sure thing, it must be the Installer doing the finishing touches of the uninstall. The surprise that then comes when this is a "Re-Install after Windows 10 upgrade".
    I close down the installer and it says I can run it anytime I want, the issue here seemt to be that I HAVE to run it and I HAVE to use this software. There is no way that I can uninstall this software properly without it making me install it again.

Isn't this what you are working against? Software that takes control of computers, and now you one of your own?!
    I'd be very happy for some assistance to this issue.

Thanks in advance
    //TJ

Hello tangorabatten,

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...o-uninstall-2/

If that FAQ doesn't help in resolving the issue please open a ticket: https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/

Best regards, tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

tashi,

Thanks for the reply, actually none of those solutions worked out but I solved it on my own.

The problem was the files left in this folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\Spybot - Search and Destroy, delete those and it wont be a problem.

Hi tangorabatten,

Thank you for letting us know, the information may be helpful for others.

Regards,
    tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thumbs up

Whenever I uninstall anything, I always search the registry file (first backing it up just in case) for the name of the uninstalled program and/or company and delete all their hooks/entries. I usually find over 30 left-over hooks which the uninstaller (whether it is the Microsoft Uninstaller or the Company-provided uninstaller...doesn't matter) just doesn't uninstall. I then send the offending software company a "WTF" email listing all the hooks it left...but word the email in a professional manner....the reply usually shows they know how I felt. -)

TQQdles™