Thread: SpyBot won't rembember registry changes

Default SpyBot won't rembember registry changes

I've used SpyBot for years with no problems. Then I updated my machine from Vista to Windows 7, and now every time I boot up I get about 8 messages from SpyBot telling me it has detected registry changes (always the same ones). Each time I tick 'remember' and 'accept', and then the next time I boot up I get the identical messages. It's a bit boring having to click through each time. Can I stop them? I've tried logging on as the administrator and asking it to remember the 'accepts' to make sure that's not the issue, but it made no difference.

Hello Some Sort of Name,

Which version and edition of Spybot do you have please.

https://www.safer-networking.org/private/

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello, I have SpyBot Search and Destroy Free 2.4
    thanks

Hello Some Sort of Name,

Quote Originally Posted by Some Sort of Name View Post
    Each time I tick 'remember' and 'accept', and then the next time I boot up I get the identical messages. It's a bit boring having to click through each time. Can I stop them? I've tried logging on as the administrator and asking it to remember the 'accepts' to make sure that's not the issue, but it made no difference.
    Did you follow this advice from the FAQ?

• Spybot 2 detects registry changes associated with Microsoft Security Center;
    • they are listed as “Windows Security Center”. This is neither a false positive nor a bug.
    • It is just an information about a potential threat – Spybot 2 only wants to bring to your attention that someone or something disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date.
    • If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot 2 to exclude those detections from further scans.
    • In order to do so you have to run the Start Center, switch to advance mode and start Settings.
    • Now browse to the “Ignore List“ tab. Via the “Add“ button you will get a list of products to be excluded. Just select the product you want to exclude and hit “OK“.
    • Settings can also be launched via SDTray (the small Spybot 2 icon beside your systems clock in the taskbar).
    • The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security).
    • These programs disable announcements of Window Security Center in order to signal things by themselves.
    • The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot 2 is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user does not take note of his security tools not being effective.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...rity-center-2/

Best regards.

Hi Tashi, Thanks for that. Yes I had looked at the FAQ but I had no idea if this was relevant to me, and if it was, which programs should be ignored. I haven’t made any registry changes myself or done anything that should affect the registry, other than upgrading from Windows Vista to 7 - all these messages appeared immediately after that. I’m not sure what, if anything, I should be telling SpyBot to ignore. (I don’t want to tell it to ignore things it shouldn’t ignore). These are the 21 messages I get every day:

Category: System Startup user entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: Sidebar

Category: System Startup user entry
    Entry: SpybotPostWindows10UpgradeReinstall

Category: System Startup global entry
    Entry: Windows Defender

Entry: [blank]

Entry: NVSvc

Entry: NvCplDaemon

Category: Global browser toolbar
    Entry: NVMediaCenter

Category: Browser page
    Change: Value changed
    Entry: Locked

Category: Browser page
    Entry: Start Page

Category: Session manager
    Entry: Default_Page_URL

Entry: BootExecute

Entry: BootExecute

Entry: ExcludeFromKnownDlls

Category: Firewall Authorized Applications
    Change: Value added
    Entry: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search_Destroy 2\SDFSSvc.exe

Category: Firewall Authorized Applications
    Change: Value added
    Entry: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search_Destroy 2\SD Tray.exe

plus another 6 similar ones to this, all to do with Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Some Sort of Name,

Did you follow this advice from the FAQ?

• Spybot 2 detects registry changes associated with Microsoft Security Center;
    • they are listed as “Windows Security Center”. This is neither a false positive nor a bug.
    • It is just an information about a potential threat – Spybot 2 only wants to bring to your attention that someone or something disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date.
    • If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot 2 to exclude those detections from further scans.
    • In order to do so you have to run the Start Center, switch to advance mode and start Settings.
    • Now browse to the “Ignore List“ tab. Via the “Add“ button you will get a list of products to be excluded. Just select the product you want to exclude and hit “OK“.
    • Settings can also be launched via SDTray (the small Spybot 2 icon beside your systems clock in the taskbar).
    • The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security).
    • These programs disable announcements of Window Security Center in order to signal things by themselves.
    • The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot 2 is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user does not take note of his security tools not being effective.

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...rity-center-2/

Best regards.

Hello Some Sort of Name,

Upgrades, software and browser updates can cause such notifications, those can be ignored.

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-09-28 at 00:02. Reason: Clarify

Hi Tashi, I'm probably being really dumb, but if I do the steps on the FAQ and try to add a product to the ignore list, I get a huge set of options none of which looks remotely like an upgrade, or update, or in any way related to the registry changes messages. I have no idea which, if any, I should ignore. Meanwhile every day I get the identical list of 21 "important registry changes that have been detected", and I've tried clicking accept (remember) or deny, but the same list keeps bugging me each time I log on. What precisely should I tell SpyBot to ignore?
    Help!
    Some Sort of Name

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Some Sort of Name,

Upgrades, software and browser updates can cause such notifications, those can be ignored.

Best regards.

Hello Some Sort of Name,

Could you open a ticket please: https://www.safer-networking.org/sup...ket/technical/

Best regards.