Thread: Processors with no SSE2 Support and XP

Question Processors with no SSE2 Support and XP

Can I be confident that Spybot will continue for the time being to Support Processors such as the Athlone Range from AMD that have no SSE2 support. AVG has just created a update that requires SSE2 Support and as a result I have had to leave AVG and bought a licensed version (Home) to work with.
    There is, as well, the concern as to the situation with XP support as well.
    In anticipation ......please

Where can i get a response to my original question ..................anybody please ..........

Hello earleyscripts,

Technology changes rapidly, I doubt anyone could provide future timelines with certainty.

You are probably aware that Microsoft no longer supports XP and thus the XP operating system itself cannot be patched against vulnerabilities.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello earleyscripts,

Technology changes rapidly, I doubt anyone could provide future timelines with certainty.

You are probably aware that Microsoft no longer supports XP and thus the XP operating system itself cannot be patched against vulnerabilities.

Best regards.
    The point is that Chrome and AVG issued updates that require SSE2 instruction set as mandatory and it occurred to me that the root source of this problem is the possibility that the programmes when constructed are compiled with a compiler that only uses SSE2 methodology within and as a result kills the use of that programme on any PC that uses non SSE2 type Processors. One bright light was that Malwarebytes issued a Patch to overcome this problem. I resorted to Spybot and the Antivirus as it was still running in my PC. I was originally trying to find out if Spybot where aware of this situation and are sensitive to the issue that when Updates are issued albeit with a warning prior to upgrade that this may be a issue for some if SSE2 is now required.

Hello earleyscripts,

Quote Originally Posted by earleyscripts View Post
    I resorted to Spybot and the Antivirus as it was still running in my PC. I was originally trying to find out if Spybot where aware of this situation and are sensitive to the issue that when Updates are issued albeit with a warning prior to upgrade that this may be a issue for some if SSE2 is now required.
    I will let the team know of your concerns.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks for your consideration and time. I have requested this not just for me but others of us with Non SSE2 CPU's that are having our PC's made more untenable because of the on rush to other technologies. I appreciate XP is old but the fact that it works and can with care be still usable for the time being then the head long rush to to faster, brighter etc PC's is not always justified at times. Time will come when we have to move on but until then ...........