Thread: Error: :This site isn't available … Invalid_Arguement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Error: :This site isn't available … Invalid_Arguement

I'm stumped ~ I thought over the years I'd seen it all … but now this is new to me. I'm working on a friends Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7. Some tune up was performed several weeks ago with the elimination of 3 or 4 "driver update" programs…no restore point were established, so I can't go back to a previous point.

My friend phoned to tell me she was having problems trying to open some websites most dealing with travel. My first impression was her system was Hijacked! I found that I'm unable to launch previously installed "spyware" program; I'd installed: Spybot => Runtime error @ 500E8338.

I'm unable to download familiar programs I'm familiar with like Malwarebytes, Rootkit Blacklight, etc. She has Panda (lifetime) as her prophylactic (guarding as her virus protection). Panda is supposed to be the baddest Panda in the neighborhood. A system scan with Panda was not rewarding.

Seems to me as if a .dll file has been corrupted or deleted? Why? some sites are accessible but Pop-ups don't launch either. This
    problem exists with several browsers I've tried to eliminate a browser concern. I again deleted a "Auto- Driver Program", my reason for thinking after I deleted all the driver update programs, several weeks later it's back.

Thinking out loud here, if a driver was downloaded and a .dll file was corrupted, then it's possible that that could be the root of the problem. I've run Junkware Removal Tool several times: Attached…

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
    Version: 8.0.9 (09.30.2016)
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Ran by Mels (Administrator) on Mon 11/14/2016 at 9:43:55.48
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

File System: 14

Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0HIEZ9IX (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0IBKIU0Z (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5LGNH4GS (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\D08Q5LOW (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E95WY7YF (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I0T62ECR (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Mels\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\URA0U975 (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0HIEZ9IX (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0IBKIU0Z (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5LGNH4GS (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\D08Q5LOW (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E95WY7YF (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I0T62ECR (Temporary Internet Files Folder)
    Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\URA0U975 (Temporary Internet Files Folder)

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on Mon 11/14/2016 at 9:55:07.30
    End of JRT log

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed before I reformat C: drive. Thanks Tommy

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Hi

Before we attempt logs, let's try a couple of things.

Temporarily disable Panda antivirus/firewall, Then quickly attempt to connect to a site.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ware-programs/
    Panda Internet Security Suite
    Please navigate to the system tray on the bottom right hand corner and look for a sign that looks like a Pandabear head.

Right click it-> select "Close automatic protection.".
    A message will pop up and warn you about disabling the protection. Chose "Yes."
    The above sign in the systemtray will now disapear.
    You successfully disabled the Panda Internet Security Guard.

~~~

Next, if Java is on the machine uninstall/delete it from add/remove programs in the control panel.

Did these errors leave?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thank you Juliet for your insight … I think I've resolved my friends issue? When I run Junkware Removal Tool ALL protections are off. As noted above , JRT listed and deleted several registry entries - only to see those same entries return. The problem is constant … I found when I Google the error message, there are many suggestions and solutions to remedy the problem. Albeit, none worked on her computer.

What I did to attempt to correct the issue was to download the latest version of the dreaded IE since IE was one of the redundant JRT deletions. My friend likes and uses Yahoo as her browser: Note…not one browser provided positive results for elimination of the error. So I attempted a workaround by downloading Mozilla Firefox browser - I kept her Yahoo start page using undated IE and Mozilla to launch to her home page. WHEW - Now she can click on her desktop icon for MF, and her Yahoo page will open…as of yesterday I could surf her bookmarks where before I couldn't open any sites to down load helpful software. I'm not sure I've solved her problem but at least she can use her computer (I wonder for how long?) I seriously think it was an IE problem since she her OP was 7.

To answer your question: if I would attempt to open any links except her Yahoo home page, I would get the error. This is an interesting topic since several of her friends are experiencing the same problems. I would appreciate any other thoughts on this error.

BTW: When her system was cleaned up about a month ago, I download SBot but the problem existed a couple weeks afterward.

I wonder how long it will continue to work also.

There are so many reasons why the errors could had been thrown out there that I can't give a pinpoint reason why it all happened.

Older browsers use Java scripts. First invented with the best tools and uses at that time but, have been exploited since.
    A short time ago there was an article about Yahoo being hacked...or something of that nature and I'm not sure if maybe the computers security suite has updates to cover this maybe?
    Without seeing logs that dig into that area I have to stop.

Is that the reason why no access to sites?, no idea, was it through computer security software?, again no idea.

I think, if you downloaded and installed the most current version of Firefox, your good for a while but do have her check for updates every 2 weeks or sooner.
    Nothing wrong with placing her Yahoo page as 'Homepage' for her to continue use.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Glad we could help.

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.