Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot stuck on initial scan when it finds Win32.Qhost.ahnj

Default Spybot stuck on initial scan when it finds Win32.Qhost.ahnj

I downloaded Spybot today ver 2.5.42 and did a full scan and when it finds a file or process called Win32.Qhost.ahnj it gets stuck and just does not move on (33.2 %)

I am running Windows 10 with Defender off and Bitdefender on

Any help much appreciated

Hello Silkie,

The scanner is looking for the item, it does not mean it is on the computer but I have reported this.

Could you exclude Win32.Qhost.ahnj from the scan and see if that fixes the issue.

"How to exclude products from the scan?

You can edit the ignore list in the “Settings“ module to exclude a product from further searches. In order to do so you have to run the Start Center, switch to “Advanced User Mode” and then open “Settings”. Now browse to the “Ignore List“ tab. Via the “Add“ button you will get a list of products to be excluded. Just select the product you want to exclude and hit “OK“.
    Settings can also be launched via SDTray (the small Spybot – Search & Destroy icon beside your systems clock in the taskbar)."

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...-the-search-2/

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Many thanks for the help. So I went ahead and excluded that Win32.Qhost.ahnj entry and the scan worked fine, nothing sinister found.

So when you say:

"The scanner is looking for the item, it does not mean it is on the computer but I have reported this"

I am not sure what that means as surely it must be on the computer if it got flagged? Is there another way to track it down?

Hello Silkie,

Quote Originally Posted by Silkie View Post
    Many thanks for the help. So I went ahead and excluded that Win32.Qhost.ahnj entry and the scan worked fine, nothing sinister found.

So when you say:

"The scanner is looking for the item, it does not mean it is on the computer but I have reported this"

I am not sure what that means as surely it must be on the computer if it got flagged? Is there another way to track it down?
    It was my understanding that you started a full scan but it froze on Win32.Qhost.ahnj and did not complete?

I downloaded Spybot today ver 2.5.42 and did a full scan and when it finds a file or process called Win32.Qhost.ahnj it gets stuck and just does not move on (33.2 %)
    The scanner's bar shows it searching for items in its database, when a scan completes successfully it will show if any items were found and list them.

Did your anti virus program find anything remiss?

Best regards.

OK the Bitdefender scan finished after 18 hours and found nothing so it seems all is fine. The question remains why Spybot has a thing about the qhost.ahnj file but I guess that is just a bug. Many thanks for your help

Win32.Qhost.ahnj has got some very extensive rules that may take a lot of time to scan on some systems. This might not even be a bug... sorry for that. If it takes too long to scan, you might want to exclude Win32.Qhost.ahnj from your scan via "settings".
    (m/f)

Is there a way to scan just for the win32.qhost.ahnj or do I have to try the complete scan again? Does the fact that Bitdefender found nothing mean that it is not there or is it only something Spybot would find? Thanks again for all your help

Hello Silkie,

Does the fact that Bitdefender found nothing mean that it is not there or is it only something Spybot would find?
    It appears to be as m/f posted previously,

Quote Originally Posted by (m/f) View Post
    Win32.Qhost.ahnj has got some very extensive rules that may take a lot of time to scan on some systems. This might not even be a bug... sorry for that. If it takes too long to scan, you might want to exclude Win32.Qhost.ahnj from your scan via "settings".
    This was reported by three users early 2015 but no-one followed up: https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...n32-Qhost-ahnj

How is the computer running?

Yes I excluded the file in question on the scan, that was the only way to get it to move from 33% of the scan. So either it is still there or was never there. Maybe I will never know. Computer seems to run fine but not sure if that is any indicator...

Hello Silkie,

Yes I excluded the file in question on the scan, that was the only way to get it to move f
    rom 33% of the scan. So either it is still there or was never there. Maybe I will never know. Computer seems to run fine but not sure if that is any indicator...
    During the running of a Spybot scan the status bar shows what Spybot-S&D is checking for, it is not flagging the item. When the scan completes then the results are displayed.

As m/f said, "Win32.Qhost.ahnj has got some very extensive rules that may take a lot of time to scan on some systems. This might not even be a bug... sorry for that".

As Bitdefender is not alerting and your computer seems to be running fine please let us know if any other issue occurs.

Best regards.