Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help please!

i have not ran the spybot yet but i will disable or uninstall kaspersky when i do.i'm prompted by windows defender that is has been stopped and will only run intermittently now. on another note, when i got home my pc was on and inside my tower was a whistle sound...horn type alarm maybe? my pc wasn't waking up to the usual commands such as any key and mouse clicks. i had to unplug my tower to get it to reboot and come on with windows up. just curious about the alarm sound...any ideas?

i did forget to mention i saw this last night after things started to clear up here but forgot it. now when i just closed spybot it popped up again. is it ok? i don't usually see it, just since this started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcb56 View Post
    i have not ran the spybot yet but i will disable or uninstall kaspersky when i do.i'm prompted by windows defender that is has been stopped and will only run intermittently now. on another note, when i got home my pc was on and inside my tower was a whistle sound...horn type alarm maybe? my pc wasn't waking up to the usual commands such as any key and mouse clicks. i had to unplug my tower to get it to reboot and come on with windows up. just curious about the alarm sound...any ideas?
    I know by design Windows Defender will not open to run in the presence of another antivirus on the machine.
    As for Kaspersky, you'll have to make a decision which antivirus to keep, running 2 at once wont work.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...er-av-program/

Now, for the noise the computer is making, this doesn't sounds good. I have no clue why it would do that other then something is about to go out?

Give it a day and let's see if those noises stop. I'm inclined to say I really don't think it will stop but rather it will get worse.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

it may be a fan motor? i had one do this before but that was over 10 years ago. seems best i remember is one of the fans quit and i had to replace it. the "tone" which best describes the sound quit once i unplugged my pc and plugged it back in.

well, you know more then me. With what I have starts making those sounds, I'm calling the fire department

If there are no more malware problems I think your good to go.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

hahaha...i have a fire extinguisher right close! well i guess that does it for me! again. i ran the tool that cleaned my desktop of tools and reports, i hope i don't have problems causing me to return, but...if i do somehow encounter them i know where help is. you guys are the best, seriously. geek squad and individual repair people ...first thing out their mouth is "new hard drive and new windows to start for about $500 and maybe more depending how bad it is." you guys are the best and i sincerely thank you for the help. may you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thank you so much!, Happy Holidays to you and your family too.

If sometime it doesn't turn on or the noises get really loud and you smell smoke.....it might just be you need a new hard drive.

Glad we could help.

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.