Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taskbar Disappears - windows XP

Taskbar has not disappeared in over 3 days, so it appears the problem has been resolved. Previously when the task bar disappeared, there were other symptoms. Sometimes I could not get running applications to exit. Sometimes one would exit, but not the others. Sometimes none would respond. That is the reason I closed Outlook without a proper exit. I could usually get the task-manager to run by ^Alt Delete, but not always.

The problem with Outlook was not resolved by flushing the cash. It appears that the message form is corrupt in the library. I have created a custom form and it works as a workaround. But I can't make Outlook default to my custom form, so it is a lot of extra clicks to constantly change to my custom form.

Thanks for your assistance!!!

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Honestly, I've never used Outlook, to be able to give the correct support I'll have to refer you to the Microsoft Outlook help forums
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com

For the tools and quarantine folders we have used

• Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
    • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
    • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Click the Run button.
    • -- This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
      Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
      ).

Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

The Task Bar Disappeared again. The area along the bottom of the screen where the taskbar normally resides turns black and does not respond to any clicks. Usually I can run the task manager by ^Alt-Delete. I then try to shut the system down and reboot as gently as possible. i.e. I exit programs normally if possible and do a software reboot if the system responds.

Sounds like a system setting

go through the Control Panel and click on Taskbar and Navigation
    That will open up the taskbar properties dialog box where you will want to go ahead and uncheck the Auto-hide the taskbar box.

Go to Start, then to Run, and type in SFC.EXE /SCANNOW with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW. The press Enter.

do the above and let me know how you make out.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Auto-hide taskbar was not set. Note: when the taskbar disapears it is still there, the screen area is just black an there is no response to any clicks on the black area that was previously a task bar. Also when that happens, the machine is sluggish and may not respond to commands entered through the task manager.

sfc.exe /scannow asked for the windows xp service pack 3 disk. All I had was windows xp pro (not service pack 3) disk. I inserted the disk and sfc.exe was happy. When I returned to the machine sfc.exe had completed with no messages.

Let's try some troubleshooting

Right Click bottom taskbar>properties>
    Under taskbar tab, uncheck all the boxes. Click apply
    Now check "Keep The Taskbar on Top of Other Windows". Click apply.
    Check it. If okay, then you can check other boxes.

~~~

right click on the task bar, select "properties" and under task bar appearance uncheck "use small icons",

right click task bar, properties and Lock Taskbar

~~~

Try to disable hardware acceleration.

Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"

If disabling hardware acceleration works then check if there is an update available for your graphics display driver.

Does any of that help?

1. Implemented first part of your request and waiting to see it problem reoccurs.

2. Not sure how to disable hardware acceleration in windows XP.
    - where is the Xp equivalent to the tools menu?
    i.e. -- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"

Choose Start > Control Panel.
    Double-click Display.
    Click the Settings tab.
    Click Advanced.
    Click the Troubleshoot tab.
    Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None.
    Click Apply and then click OK to accept the new setting and close the dialog box

~~~

or this method

go to the run dialog box and try typing "dxdiag" this should open the DirectX page and you can disable hardware acceleration under the graphics tab.

Problem occured after implementing first 1/2

Now... hardware acceleration set to none. Waiting to see if problem reoccurs.

I know I got my fingers crossed