Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taskbar Disappears - windows XP

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

How we doing now?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

so far so good. I turned off hardware acceleration, reinstalled outlook and setup a new profile (i'm logging in as a different user). That solved the outlook corruption and the task bar has not turned black. Got my fingers crossed too...

I think your good to go

• Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
    • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
    • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Click the Run button.
    • -- This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
      Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
      ).

Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

No I still have the problem. It has occurred two time since my last post.

I removed and reinstalled Outlook in an attempt to fix the corruption in the outlook forms library. That did not fix the problem so I setup a new user/profile and now Outlook works correctly. Something in the User profile was corrupt and was not corrected by removal/Install.

The new profile uses the standard task-bar (not the classic task bar like the old profile). Now when the problem occurs the standard task-bar does not go away, but simply becomes non responsive. Once when the problem occurred I was able to use the task-manager to switch users and sure enough the task bar was blank on the old profile. After the problem occurs I typically use the task manager and alt-Tab to shut-down and reboot as gracefully as possible. This is not always possible because the system if very slow and non responsive. If I get all applications shut down and then click restart, the system informs me that it is terminating several tasks. The last time it occurs the system shutdown AvastUI.exe.

So changes in the taskbar setup and hardware display acceleration did not help and all indications is that the task-bar issue is just a symptom of a much more subtle problem.

Thank you sooo much for your help...

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
    - Right click on and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
    (Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk.

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

Requested actions performed. Log files are attached.

I get the following new error message after boot:
    Application popup: Dropbox.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point SHGetKnownFolderPath could not be
    located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll.

Also my XP system disk does not have any service packs. Do I now need to install the 3 service packs? Where would I get them?

Thank you sooo MUCH!!!
    Roger
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Juliet; 2017-01-27 at 12:30.

From what I could find, Not found procedure entry point errors mean that you have a file that is not meant for your machine trying to run.
    As it does so, it's looking for this entry point in the files you do have, but it's not there because it's the wrong version of OS most likely or you've installed a package that that did not update the file system properly to include the file with the missing procedure.

Download XP SP3, then do your Windows updates. Even though support has finished, all the old relevant updates should still available.
    Let me also add, this may or may not fix the problem.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396

Ok.

I'm a little confused. If I go to system properties it shows that SP-3 is installed. When I go to the SP-3 link and review requirements it says SP-2 must be installed first. I can find a number of places to download SP-3, but none that look reliable.

So I assume that my system has all service packs installed, but that any files that were replaced by the repair program are now restored back to the original release. Not sure what will happen when I try to install SP-3 for a second time.

Do you have a recommended location to download SP-3 from??

Thank

Quote Originally Posted by roger.f View Post
    Ok.

I'm a little confused. If I go to system properties it shows that SP-3 is installed. When I go to the SP-3 link and review requirements it says SP-2 must be installed first. I can find a number of places to download SP-3, but none that look reliable.

So I assume that my system has all service packs installed, but that any files that were replaced by the repair program are now restored back to the original release. Not sure what will happen when I try to install SP-3 for a second time.

Do you have a recommended location to download SP-3 from??

Thank
    If I'm right, Microsoft updates placed some SP3 updates on your machine without your knowledge.
    Thats not out of the ordinary, it happens with all machines as in preparing them to receive new updates for coming security packages.

Prerequisites to install Windows XP SP3
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...service-pack-3

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc507836.aspx

No. I have Windows XP CD's with no Service Packs. Years ago I installed SP-1, SP-2 and SP-3. Then we used the "Repair Windows" program to fix my computer issues. Your instructions were to insert the Windows XP Service Pack-3 CD. But I do not have the service pack-3 CD, so I (inappropriately) used the Windows CD (with no service packs). That seems to have repaired the problem, except it created the error at boot. Now you have instructed me to install SP-3 again and the links you provided give me instructions, but no link for downloading the the service pack. Microsoft no longer supports and does have a download linkfor Xp service pack-3. I have found the major download sites (CNET, FillHippo, MajorGeeks,etc.) have a link to a Microsoft page that does not work. After searching a little more I found this link at zdnet.com, where I was able to download a copy of SP-3:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ion.aspx?id=24
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/xp-sp3-...you-still-can/

At this point everything seems to be ok. It has been almost 5 days since I reinstalled SP-3 and no problems! Fingers crossed!! LOL

Thank you sooo much...