Thread: I'm a neophyte, and stuck

Default I'm a neophyte, and stuck

Hi, hope someone can help me. My old clunker needed to be replaced, and I got a Compaq flatscreen. Within two weeks, it stopped connecting me to any websites, at all. I can get connected (I'm dial-up), but after that, nothing. My ISP, srt.com, guy suggested Spybot, and that's the first I'd heard of it. I set up my old thing in the dining room, and left the Compaq set up in the office. SOOooo, I downloaded and ran Spybot on the old one, and tried to copy all the files onto a cd. Looked like it worked, so I took it over to the new one. It booted up ok, but won't run w/o updates, and I get "Error msg about scoket error 11004" and nothing further. What do I do now?
    Thanks.
    CC

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet through your firewall in order to update.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default I mean Neophyte!

How? I operate Windows XP, SP2

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you don't have a firewall other than the Windows Firewall (XP SP2):
    Understanding Windows Firewall
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...xceptions.mspx

Also Windows help > Networking and the Web > Windows Firewall > Getting Started.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2005-12-02 at 05:55.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Red face Still neophyte, but learning!

Thank you so much...I'm back on my new computer, and managing to keep Spybot running properly now! You're great.
    CC

Default fred

Hi CC,
    I would call compac and there support person will walk you through the problem. I am not familiar with that particular computer but they should support a new computer for sure. Good luck Fred