Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: clampi?

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Dang......

couple of things to try

Unplug the computer from the power supply for a few minutes, plug stuff back in and reboot.?

Try a different USB port?

What does it do when you try to boot into safe mode?

try clearing the CMOS by turning off and unplugging your computer fully, opening up the computer and remove a battery, then place the battery back in carefully.
    Reboot the computer and see if anything has been fixed?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

well i'm as surprised as can be! after I posted that I sat here looking at the back of the unit and saw the main plug. I went ahead thinking ok let's see. It loaded the blue page and had about 5 options, 2 or 3 I had already tried. to start in safe mode it would ask for my password then the pen would freeze or cursor would freeze. if not that the keyboard would. when it came on I was down to two options, let it restore the pc and remove all programs except those that came with it, but i'd lose no files. the other was to wipe it clean and start over which would also destroy all my files. I chose to try the first as it all was no good to me as it was and sure enough it started and showed it's progress and sure enough, now it sits here cleaned and ready and i'm using it now. it did have the old problem of network providers and no one knew nothing. included is a pic of all network adapters and 2-3 days ago all these odd one's weren't here and now they are and earlier I had trouble getting online. I am gonna try to assess it all and get back with you this eve or tomorrow. I know this all sounds crazy but I assure you this is going on

Good golly wish I knew what was going on here but I ain't got a clue.

Use it a little bit...tenderly, and see how it behaves.

I can send you to another forum and have them look over hardware and things like that ....thats where I have no idea what to do next.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

i used it a little today and it seems to take the internet pretty good. i looked at my files which all seem to be there but in uninstall there are three programs only. is there any type of system scan that could show what happened?

Programs or Apps? I ask because Apps from the App store don't show up in Programs and features. They are in Settings > System > Apps & Features.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-a...el-list-2.html

I meant to get back before now but have been busy. I have been using this pc and all seems ok but...the other night while using firefox, I clicked on a Walmart link within the Walmart website to "make this store mine" and there was the Microsoft prompt with a message for me that I was causing other computers to become infected with malware and I had been restricted until I called the number...I don't know why I didn't think to get it. I don't know if it would show up in history or show up as. I attempted to close it and it wouldn't close until I opened task mgr. and ended the task. no problems of it since. so...any ideas?

What you did was the correct thing to do.
    The link within a link sent a SCAM/SPAM to your browser.
    When this occurs, open task manager, right click on the browser your using, select end task and that closes all of it.

Doesn't necessarily mean your infected, if you like you can open MBAM ( Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) and run a threat scan.

We ready to remove tools and quarantine folders?

ok Juliet, and thanks for the help and your patience. sorry again I was slow but am in the process of moving again and haven't been on much. the only problem I see currently that is a worry is powering on and logging on. it seems the windows login window takes forever to load and seems to freeze before getting there...that's where this problem began most recently of windows not opening. I doubt there's much to do for that, just hope windows opens!

There may be help still available.
    Register here at this forum
    https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119

Create a new topic and supply a link to the topic you have here. The tech guys here know how to use a few tools that I have no experience or knowledge in.

What your describing doesn't point to malware but might be related to drivers or hardware.

ok and thanks again Juliet...now, can you help me stop chasing my java tail? do you know what to do here? I get prompts on card games that java needs installed. firefox no longer supports it and edge wont either, I have to select to open edge in internet explorer and then it worked fine. now it says I need it installed, I install it and it doesn't show and wont detect. any answers there?