Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: clampi?

Ok my win 10 is home edition. Your first suggestion didn't go anywhere according to run. I looked it up manually and found gpedit.dll but that's all. The other stuff was attempted earlier in links you gave me then abs nothing after all of them. The spybot luge protection is now off.

Live not luge... lol @ phone keyboard

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Early on FRST threw out a few errors related to your wifi adapter

Name: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
    Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Manufacturer: Microsoft
    Service: vwifimp
    Problem: : This device is disabled. (Code 22)
    Resolution: In Device Manager, click "Action", and then click "Enable Device". This starts the Enable Device wizard. Follow the instructions.

Name: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
    Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Manufacturer: Microsoft
    Service: vwifimp
    Problem: : This device is disabled. (Code 22)
    Resolution: In Device Manager, click "Action", and then click "Enable Device". This starts the Enable Device wizard. Follow the instructions.
    Let's see if we can get into device manager and see if we can re-enable anything

http://www.howtogeek.com/167094/how-...oubleshooting/

To identify devices that aren’t working properly — possibly because of problems with their drivers — look for the yellow triangle containing an exclamation point over a device’s icon.
    Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
    Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

hello juliet, sorry i was away but have been trying to get things seen about with that pc and i bought a new one thinking this is going to have to be seen about in a repair place like geek squad. it was taking too much to try and get on long enough to resolve anything and once i'd get on it would knock me off. i got a new dt dell last night and liked it until this morning when i find it taken over by their own program of tutorials and education vids they loaded on it. talk about a mess, click on anything and it opens but only to the task bar which was taken over by maybe 100 programs. click on one and it never opened on the full screen, the task bar had no clock, speaker icon or any. i was able to get refunded thankfully and went for an asus x540s laptop. i got it home and jeez...find out i have to download win 10 for it via a coupon that came with it! i did want to ask if it's possible to purchase an av and run it in my other if it being fresh would i have any chance of it at least getting so i could get online and finish the repairs? if so it'd be a lot less money spent. i'll check back asap wednesday. i need to find out more about the connection i am on if i can. i did find out today that was a problem i was having as i eventually tried updating the driver in samsung as a network device, windows was checking it saying it was a mpst recent driver...but the date on it was 11 years old! it finally updated in device manager in an attempt to do so. thanks for your help and sorry i was away. i'll be by tomorrow, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rcb56 View Post
    hello juliet, sorry i was away but have been trying to get things seen about with that pc and i bought a new one thinking this is going to have to be seen about in a repair place like geek squad. it was taking too much to try and get on long enough to resolve anything and once i'd get on it would knock me off. i got a new dt dell last night and liked it until this morning when i find it taken over by their own program of tutorials and education vids they loaded on it. talk about a mess, click on anything and it opens but only to the task bar which was taken over by maybe 100 programs. click on one and it never opened on the full screen, the task bar had no clock, speaker icon or any. i was able to get refunded thankfully and went for an asus x540s laptop. i got it home and jeez...find out i have to download win 10 for it via a coupon that came with it! i did want to ask if it's possible to purchase an av and run it in my other if it being fresh would i have any chance of it at least getting so i could get online and finish the repairs? if so it'd be a lot less money spent. i'll check back asap wednesday. i need to find out more about the connection i am on if i can. i did find out today that was a problem i was having as i eventually tried updating the driver in samsung as a network device, windows was checking it saying it was a mpst recent driver...but the date on it was 11 years old! it finally updated in device manager in an attempt to do so. thanks for your help and sorry i was away. i'll be by tomorrow, thanks!
    You've been busy. Sorry to hear it's been a nightmare trying to find a newer machine.

Items that you would like to download and run on the older computer can usually be transferred over by USB, set things to download and install to desktop if possible or to a folder you can find easily. The machine has so many issues that it probably needs to be reformatted.
    If you don't have any sort of recovery disk, you might be able to send for one at the manufacturer web site.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
    the above link shows free antivirus and consumer notes.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

ok juliet, thanks...you've been a big help with all my visits. just a few questions and i guess i'll be done...my spybot home edition, can i get a new license for my new pc? can i retrieve files from my old pc safely? using memory card maybe if i scan it's contents before i unload on my new pc? i have a lot of pics and songs on it i'd like to get. i'll check that link...thanks!

my spybot home edition, can i get a new license for my new pc?
    I've submitted questions for this and should hear back soon.

Using a memory card sounds fine but I'm not sure.

I haven't done this myself, have heard of people using USB's ?

Let me ask around about this.

For A brand new license:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/private/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Installing Spybot on a new PC and using current license:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/con...esend-license/

Use the "Additional Information" box to explain the circumstance, also provide a link to this topic.

still waiting for info on the memory card.

Let's give this tool a go and see if it can repair any types of connections.

This scan may take quite a while to run.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
    - Right click on and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
    (Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk.

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

ok Juliet, I have done all you have suggested using this program and the only problems I encountered were just a few. first let me say I have been online and off again and back on without getting booted at all since early afternoon when I started this. before I would be logged off usually by the time I logged on here or shortly after. that was due to a driver in my cellphone network adapters being very outdated...as it was a Microsoft driver last edited 2006, 11 years ago. I doubt they installed an 11 year old driver on this phone leaving me to think the incident leading up to this must be where that came from. now, the problems I just had in this is that when this happened I ran system restore to see if it helped. I backed it up to about jan. 25 needless to say it didn't help. when I was prompted by the scan to do a reg. backup and system restore it prompted me about undoing the previous sys. res. which I chose to and it failed and did not undo the previous. the other thing is minor involving firefox which I uninstalled after my incident and using edge now in this it prompted me a few times that edge wouldn't open under this admin and to log in under another admin account...? hmmm...new to me! this seems to be running ok. now there is an entire folder of tweaking reports and other files...which do I send...there are a lot!

┌────────────────────────────────┐
    │[STARTED] [2/16/2017 3:18:00 PM]│
    └────────────────────────────────┘
    Running Repair on C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

[x] Command to Run: Create Default Reparse Point (This Is A Default Windows Reparse Point, Lets Put It Back The Way It Should Be)
    [x] Calling Checking If Link Folder Exists
    [x] Link Folder Does Exist, We need to remove it as we can't make Reparse Points for exisiting folders.
    [x] Setting Owner On Folder (So We Have A Better Chance For Permission To Remove It).
    [x] Calling RemoveDirectoryW (Only Removes Empty Folders, Just In Case)
    [x] Remove Folder Done.
    [x] Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"
    [x] Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Running Repair on C:\Users\Default\Cookies

[x] Command to Run: Create Default Reparse Point (This Is A Default Windows Reparse Point, Lets Put It Back The Way It Should Be)
    [x] Link Folder Does Exist, We need to remove it as we can't make Reparse Points for exisiting folders.
    [x] Setting Owner On Folder (So We Have A Better Chance For Permission To Remove It).
    [x] Calling RemoveDirectoryW (Only Removes Empty Folders, Just In Case)
    [x] Remove Folder Done.
    [x] Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\Users\Default\Cookies" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies"
    [x] Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\Users\Default\Cookies

Running Repair on C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5

[x] Calling SHCreateDirectoryExW To Create Target Folder: C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE
    [x] Create Target Path/Folder Done.
    [x] Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5" "C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE"
    [x] Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5

┌─────────────────────────────────┐
    │[FINISHED] [2/16/2017 3:18:05 PM]│
    └─────────────────────────────────┘